• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

5 pin site

jcassell207

Just got my new bow, and I’m placing a 5 pin site. Never, since I’ve started bow hunting have i used a 5 pin before….so wanted some feedback

pinsets? Was thinking 20/30/40/50/and maybe a 60. Figure 10/20 isn’t much off when it comes to distance

what was your hardest thing to get use to? Seems like a lot going on in a little area. Anybody have trouble with focusing on your pin?

do you play with your elevation? This site comes with wind and elevation…..

this is my first bow I’ve built from ground up, so be easy on me

I started with five pin and quickly ditched it. Sight picture was waaaay too busy and with anything over .19 size fiber I couldn’t see much. I started with 20/30/40/50/60 then realized I was never gonna shoot 60 and couldn’t even see 60 with all the pins in the way. Then realized I should just shoot the gaps between 20/30 and left 40 alone. As my eyes get older(combined with a scar) I’ve reduced further to single pin and play with an ezv.

Set your pins and use the gang adjustments for wind/elevation. Starting from the beginning, start close. Top of dot at 10 yards. Move back to 20 and adjust. Move back to 30 and set second pin. Repeat. At 60 you will adjust in small amounts for wind/elevation. Check 20 again and go kill stuff. I would not adjust windage individually. Just use the housing adjustment.

I shoot a 3 pin but I first center and zero my middle pin so that it's exactly in the middle of my sight which for me is 30 yards. I then adjust my upper pin at 20 yards and bottom pin at 40 yards.

I’ve shot several different sights and have shot archery for about a decade. I shoot a 5 pin currently and still every time I draw back on a target or animal count my pins from top to bottom until I get to the pin I want for the shot. This eliminates choosing the wrong pin in the heat of the moment.

I will say, I think a good 5 pin sight is about the most well rounded type of sight for any style of hunting or target/3D archery shooting, as well as being great for practicing in your Backyard. You may not shoot an animal at 60 yards, but having that pin to shoot on the range will make you a better archer.

The way I set up a bow site is pretty simple, (I assume you aren’t worrying about setting 2nd and 3rd axis). The first thing I do is decide what ranges I want my pins at. I always go in 10 yard increments because it’s easy to count down your pins and minimizes confusion. Then decide what your top pin will be. My opinion is this should be either 10, 15, or 20 yards. 20 is most common because like you said there isn’t much difference between 10/20. If you have a very slow bow (like my wife) there is a significant gap between 10/20, you should shoot your bow at those ranges and check.

The 15 yard starting point was recently repopularized on youtube by a very enthusiastic gentleman out of texas. You’ll use the same 10 yard gaps but starting at 15, so your pins will be 15,25,35,45… the theory behind doing this is that your pins will fall in a more even spacing across the whole sight. It works pretty well, especially if you aren’t used to having pins set at multiples of 10 yet. The downsides are if you ever shoot at a public range or someone else’s range, you’re pretty unlikely to run across a target that’s 25 yards away.

After I know what I want my gaps to be, I go sight in my top pin and 2nd pin. It’s doesn’t matter where in the housing it is at this point. Once I get this distance, you can assume that the rest of the gaps will be a similar distance. On slow bows the further gaps will get considerably larger. Spread your pins out with these gaps so everything looks pretty even. Then move the whole housing up or down until the 20 pin is dead on. From there, you’ll have to fine tune each pin but they should be close.

There are plenty of other less common ways to set up your sight and I encourage you to try them all out as sighting your bow in all the time is great practice. Welcome to the sport!

Snip...

The 15 yard starting point was recently repopularized on youtube by a very enthusiastic gentleman out of texas. You’ll use the same 10 yard gaps but starting at 15, so your pins will be 15,25,35,45… the theory behind doing this is that your pins will fall in a more even spacing across the whole sight. It works pretty well, especially if you aren’t used to having pins set at multiples of 10 yet. The downsides are if you ever shoot at a public range or someone else’s range, you’re pretty unlikely to run across a target that’s 25 yards away.

...Snippity snip

That's an interesting thought. Rangefinding this season, I found many of my ranges either less than 15 or 25 +/- a few. Given that, many of my presighted spots were shooting between my 20 and 30 pin. Dropping it to 15/25/35 actually makes more sense.

That's an interesting thought. Rangefinding this season, I found many of my ranges either less than 15 or 25 +/- a few. Given that, many of my presighted spots were shooting between my 20 and 30 pin. Dropping it to 15/25/35 actually makes more sense.
Yea I mean an animal is just as likely to jump out at 17 as 20. It can be helpful for that, but after using it for 2 years I didn’t see that benefit for myself. In the end it had more negative than positive for me

Back