• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

6mm Split tail

DW218

First year saddle hunter, I use Oplux rope for tether and repel line and trying to find 6mm split tail with 2 sewn eyes. All I can find is 8mm, want to try a distel and schwabesh hitch. Any body with info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and good luck in the woods.

You could get some sterling 6mm TRC and tie the proper knots to make your own.

You could get some sterling 6mm TRC and tie the proper knots to make your own.

^^^^This^^^^

Go to easternwoodsoutdoors.com and order 3.5' or 4' of TRC 6mm sterling rope. Tie a scafford knot (I believe that's the name) on each end and then use the rope as a distel hitch. It can be adjusted with a tender after you load it or by hand.

First year saddle hunter, I use Oplux rope for tether and repel line and trying to find 6mm split tail with 2 sewn eyes. All I can find is 8mm, want to try a distel and schwabesh hitch. Any body with info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and good luck in the woods.
I have been looking for for the item you are describing for some time.

Edit... and I do use both 6mm Sterling TRC or 5.5mm Beal Kevlar and tie poachers knots (as mentioned above), but have been looking for sewn eyes, and have not had much luck.

Last edited:
6mm rope for making friction hitches on Oplux

For tying a scaffold knot:

For tying distel and or schwabish friction hitches.

I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find any 6mm eye to eyes with sewn eyes. Ended up making my own with TRC. Such is life.

Thanks all, this is a fantastic group to be a part of. I do have 6mm TRC that I can tie my own but I prefer sewn eyes and thought maybe someone had luck finding it. Guess I will tie my own and thanks for the video links for correct processes.
Good luck this season!

Thanks all, this is a fantastic group to be a part of. I do have 6mm TRC that I can tie my own but I prefer sewn eyes and thought maybe someone had luck finding it. Guess I will tie my own and thanks for the video links for correct processes.
Good luck this season!

you too. And make sure those scaffold knots are tied correctly. Other they become suicide knots.

I'm thinking you don't have enough real estate to execute a sewn eye in 6mm rope, or that the margin for error in doing it is very slim. This is a completely uneducated guess, but I promise we aren't the only fools wanting them...

I'm thinking you don't have enough real estate to execute a sewn eye in 6mm rope, or that the margin for error in doing it is very slim. This is a completely uneducated guess, but I promise we aren't the only fools wanting them...

Yea, I was surprised that I couldn't find one also. I think we aren't the only ones looking for them as well. But I literally looked at every distributors website of every rope manufacturer that I could think of and came up empty handed and broken hearted.

Yea, I was surprised that I couldn't find one also. I think we aren't the only ones looking for them as well. But I literally looked at every distributors website of every rope manufacturer that I could think of and came up empty handed and broken hearted.

I literally gave you an option that a lot of us are using. It is a 7mm cord, but the manufacturer states it is to be used with 7 to 9 millimeter host ropes.

I literally gave you an option that a lot of us are using. It is a 7mm cord, but the manufacturer states it is to be used with 7 to 9 millimeter host ropes.

Oh, I didn't know you had the be-all-end-all say in this conversation but thank you.

Oh, I didn't know you had the be-all-end-all say in this conversation but thank you.

Well, its the only sewn eye option out there that works with 8mm rope. A lot of people here have spent a lot of time trying to find one, and this is the only sewn eye option. A lot of people just shrug it off because it is 7mm, but the manufacturer says it is designed for 7mm-9mm rope so it is in fact an option.

If the 7mm VT. Prusik works on a 7mm line, why don’t the other 8mms that are available not work on 8mm lines?

If the 7mm VT. Prusik works on a 7mm line, why don’t the other 8mms that are available not work on 8mm lines?

I dont know the technical answer other than this line is specifically designed to work on lines of that diameter, while the others are not. I posted an email response from blue water above that is the answer to the question of whether or not the 7mm or 8mm vt prusik cord would work on an 8mm rope.

Back