• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

6mm TRC Rope Mods

J.P.

Has anyone changed from Amsteel to TRC or similarly sized rope for rope mods?

I am considering going this route this fall. Does anyone create sewn eyes with 6mm TRC or similar ropes?

Thanks

I think several companies offer 8mm tethers and linemans ropes made of Sterling oplux. Those are made by Sterling with 6mm trc with sewn eye friction hitches. Probably your best bet unless you need a long length of trc with a sewn eye.

6mm TRC is crazy durable, in my opinion, and therefore, great for rope mods. Very difficult to cut rope.
All of mine that are on sticks are tied with a figure 8 on bight.
Also works great with the harken 150 and other cam cleats.
I use more 6mm Sterling accessory cord, mostly just because it is at a lower cost and can do the same thing. I believe it's rated lower than the TRC, but still adequate, for me, on sticks.

Probably your best bet unless you need a long length of trc with a sewn eye.
I was hoping to find some in longer lengths for the rope mod itself. I’ve seen the sewn eye-to-eye for friction hitches and will be using a couple of those this fall too.

6mm TRC is crazy durable, in my opinion, and therefore, great for rope mods. Very difficult to cut rope.
All of mine that are on sticks are tied with a figure 8 on bight.
Also works great with the harken 150 and other cam cleats.
I use more 6mm Sterling accessory cord, mostly just because it is at a lower cost and can do the same thing. I believe it's rated lower than the TRC, but still adequate, for me, on sticks.
Any pics of your setup? If I can’t find longer lengths, I’ll have to do what you did. Do you have the knot tied under the cam cleat? The attachment point is mainly what I’m thinking about. Thanks.

I would reach out to @Brocky about spliced eyes, he's got a post full of spliced eye tethers and eye to eye accessory cord over on the classifieds. As far as I know he's the only member splicing anything other than amsteel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Any pics of your setup? If I can’t find longer lengths, I’ll have to do what you did. Do you have the knot tied under the cam cleat? The attachment point is mainly what I’m thinking about. Thanks.

Best I can come up with right now. I just use a stopper knot, but it requires additional hole(s) that are smooth through the side of the stick.

Last edited:
I would reach out to @Brocky about spliced eyes, he's got a post full of spliced eye tethers and eye to eye accessory cord over on the classifieds. As far as I know he's the only member splicing anything other than amsteel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
A heat resistant cover isn’t needed, something with a dyneema core and polyester cover would work and probably be stronger.

Brandon @ Arbsession is great to work with! I have had several different ropes sewn and tested/rated by them. If color isn't an issue I think they sell Edelrid 6mm Aramid, which I did have them develop a sewing pattern and rating for (for my purposes, in a sling configuration)...

Back