• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

8 weeks

The humidity has been ridiculous and deer are scattered everywhere with all of the food around. With the insect population at full carrying capacity here on the marsh.....I'm going to bet there will be more in the corn than in the woods/phrag.

12 weeks here in Mich. Got 2 cams at the farm & a cell cam at my folks place. Been shooting daily since July 1st. It IS gonna fly by. Waiting for cooler weather this weekend to cut my shooting lanes, and narrow down the farm stands. No corn this yr , kinda bummed. It eliminates my stalking hunts :pensive:. Hopefully be showing you guys a couple beautys, from the saddle, in Oct. Also, my goal is 4 doe along with those bucks. Deer are thick up here.

In a few weeks I will start to hang cams in Jersey.
I hunt a mostly federal properties in New Jersey because there are no deer drives or baiting allowed.
It kind of keeps a lot of people out of the areas I key in on.
State land in New Jersey is crazy lol, In South Jersey where I grew up hunting deer There is usually bait piles just about everywhere there is a transition, Swampy, or Thick.
It can be tough to figure things out because when you create a destination spot for deer then it will usually change them up a bit and make them a bit more spookier.
In Delaware I hunt Public so since the trail camera ban, I cant hang any cams there
I'm fine with it though I've killed plenty of deer throughout the years without them.
My New Jersey Zone doesn't open till right around October 1st so I will bump up my trail camera plans a few weeks.
Probably put out First week of August give or take.
To be honest I am ready for Delaware, I go down in a few weeks to do some light scouting to confirm activity and timing from last years trail cam data.
Nothing should have really changed unless severe habitat change has happened which I know has not.
Please Stay close to my Channel The Buck Psych Because I'm going back to trying a little TRAD Recurve hunting this year and I am going to really record and tell my stories.

Last edited:
I've got a spot I gotta get prepped earlier rather than later. I'm hoping I can just get a rain day. It's thick and swampy and no air moves.....I'm not looking forward to it.

I lie. I am.
Its supposed to be cooler and rainy tomorrow morning and I think I'm going to take advantage and head out to scout a new raised area in a swamp I've been looking at. As I told the wife, I'd rather be wet than swarmed by deer flies. :)

Last edited:
My out of state opener is sept 15 I gotta get down there and move some stuff around but it’s pretty much all ready to I got a new property that’s small but freighted and I’m not even gonna touch it till I hunt it. It’s in a rural area with no hunters. Had to pull teeth for that permission slip lol. My in state stuff rarely changes and I hunt so much here that it’s always run and gun the tree selection usually stays within a 100 yard circle in all the areas just depends on where the deer are feeding but the bedding rarely changes. They hoyt is shooting tight and true especially after all the tac prep!

Ours starts October 1st so I have about 12 weeks but it will fly by for sure. I'm feeling pretty good about my prospects. I scouted a lot of new to me ground this post season in February through turkey season. I did over 100 miles of walking during that time. I found several new primary scrape areas in thick cover and these spots are good to go for pre rut and rut. Early season I will do like I did last season and do a couple of speed tours about a week prior to see if I can key in on a few hot oaks. That strategy paid off last season. I got onto a nice mid 120 buck at about 12 yards the first evening out. I passed him and sort of regret that, but I believe he survived so he will be better this fall.

I was tending to the sweet potatoes yesterday and a young doe walks out of the corn upwind at about 60....looked too easy. They're hammering our potatoe vines like they do every year at this time. Today I have to run the tiller between the nine double rows of sorghum......and get batteries.

I believe it easy. Mine are private property, so they have bolts in them. I probably have $300 worth of bolts out there.

I had a previous property that had screw in steps everywhere. I still have a couple trees that I can still use. Once I moved on to bolts, I'd only leave them if I was coming back in the near future. I think I have four sets now.. Otherwise, I carry them in and out.

Back