• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

a couple of firsts...question about lack of blood

iamcorey

First saddle buck and first archery buck.

Shot at him towards last light. He walked out from behind a large oak at 20 and was perfectly calm. Arrow flew and he trotted off like I had missed. No crash just trotted down the trail and into cover. By the time I got down it was dark. My old eyes couldn't find the arrow and there was no blood at or around point of alleged impact. I have missed twice before in previous years of flinging arrows, so this feeling was familiar to me. I had missed again.

After more circling and creeping the trail he ran, I gave up and pouted my way back to the truck.

Next morning I woke up thinking I should go find my arrow, but decided to wait until my lunch break just because I'm lazy and it was Monday. At lunch I find my arrow and its covered up with blood. My heart sinks and my nerves get me. Did I not do what I was supposed to do after a kill? Where was all the spray from the "smoked him" heart shot or the "double lung"? I started walking the trail again, but no blood. Found 1 leaf with blood on the trail, but not what I would call substantial. First blood was maybe 40 yards down the trail from the kill shot. I took maybe 10 steps into the brush and there he is piled up. I couldn't be happier, but I'm also kind of pissed at myself that I let him sit that long.

So my main question is can anyone have an idea on why so little blood? I leaf with a little blood. He was swole up because he bled internally. No gut shot thank goodness. Is it correct to assume he died pretty quick since it was so close to the trail and the initial hit?

Meat is fine as night temps were 33 for that night. Will work on a pic to help with answer on the blood.

Pic is entry. I was 20 feet up at 20 yards, so exit is slightly lower on other side and just a hair back.
0fbbe5c733f6b0193bd9bdb4275de742.jpg

With a high or no exit it is normal to have no blood until some distance has been covered. I’ve seen them go 75 or more yards before they start spraying(small drops coming out their nose from breathing) and never leak out of the entry/exit hole until they fall over.

Like eric said, it happens. The doe I killed got hit high, and hardly bleed a drop. She made it maybe 50 yards and piled up. When I went to flip her over, it was like blood was pouring out of a bucket. Her diaphragm was full of blood. Arrow was covered too.

I’m thinking I need some lumenocks. This is the first of 3 arrows I’ve been able to recover over my short archery career. One was clearly a miss into some thick stuff. The other was aquestionable morning attempt, but after 4 hours of searching I ruled out a hit. A lighted nock would rule out a lot of the guessing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking I need some lumenocks. This is the first of 3 arrows I’ve been able to recover over my short archery career. One was clearly a miss into some thick stuff. The other was aquestionable morning attempt, but after 4 hours of searching I ruled out a hit. A lighted nock would rule out a lot of the guessing game.

Lighted knock, blue fletchings, and a white arrow wrap. Blue does not naturally occur in the woods. White wrap helps read blood.

I switched to them this year, never going back. Help so much. I heart shot a deer last year, it ran a good 75 yards and didn't spill a drop until it toppled, then it was like a Monty python movie. Inside of the chest cavity must have blocked the hole and he bleed internally. Happens.

Lighted nocks are awesome. Probably the best innovation to archery since the shaft haha. Hunters best friend for understanding the shot placement (burns it into your brain) and finding it after the shot. I'll never shoot another arrow without it....even traditional. Bring on the haters!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

It’s Crazy how our quick perception after a shot can so easily convince us of a situation. good on you for going back in there! Glad you found him!

i use noctunrals and they've been great.

Congrats on the deer and use this as a positive learning experience. Don’t assume anything until you examine the arrow or blood. Also a good light source is key at night. I’ve also learned to pay very close attention to the shot and also as much as I can directly after the shot. I do use lighted nocks as well and am a firm believer in them as well they will greatly help in locating arrows in the dark as well as illuminating arrow flight. As hunters it’s our responsibility to make positive that it’s eigther a clean miss or if their is any sign of blood or a hit to try to recover the animal. Id recommend looking tracking information as things like blood type, deer reactions after the shot, shot location will all help in determining when to track that animal. Imo unless you see it fall over I’d wait at least an hr ( not long as you thing after you calm down pack up your stuff etc.) but I make sure to always locate the arrow before making any assumptions. I’ll usually take my time pack up and than locate arrow. I’ll mark arrow and first blood than go offload my gear. Come back will reinforcements for dragging. Also don’t go tromping all over creation looking for arrow and blood. Be methodical, move slow, one person out front and next person stays on last blood you might have to look for broken stick, ruffled leaves etc nothing worse than having the neighborhood run a marathon through the area.

Great buck. Congratulations. I had a high hit last Saturday, horrible blood trial. Mine was also towards last shooting light. I highly agree with lighted nocks. I also recovered mine the following morning. It's a tough one. For sure the lighted nock will help you see the hit better, which is some super valuable information.Being able to recover the arrow, and being able read it, is also a huge piece of the puzzle. It will dictate how you proceed with the recovery. It's always nice to watch them go down, but it's the exception not the rule. I feel you on the eye sight issue too. It used to be way easier when I could see better. Good on you for going back and following up. A day of firsts for you and lessons learned.

Lighted knock, blue fletchings, and a white arrow wrap. Blue does not naturally occur in the woods. White wrap helps read blood.
This^^
I shoot a white reflective wrap, 2 white feathers and one blue. Its amazing how often its the blue feather I see 1st when looking for an arrow. I stump shoot a lot, so I have lots of practice looking for arrows. Blue is the ticket.
The reflective wraps are great for night time...they glow like a beacon when hit with a light.

Back