• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A ? for anyone using a Woodpecker or EZ-Kut Drill

Gibby

Apr 5, 2014
Hey Guys

I just started using an EZ-Kut drill during this last deer season and I tried pre-drilling a bunch of trees so they were prepared in advance. I drilled them in the beginning of Oct and the holes for the most part were good for the entire season which was good.

Problem was I really had a hard time finding some of the holes when I went to hunt the pre-drilled trees, especially in the dark for morning hunts and I was just wondering what you guys were doing to help mark the holes to make them easier to find?

I've tried using the small foam earplugs putting those inside the holes, but that can get costly and it seems to absorb water and the hole seems to grow closed much faster.

I've also tried using reflective glow Tacs placed under each hole I've drilled but that sometimes fails if the tac falls out and it can really give away my stand location to other hunters in the area.

I'm thinking of painting the tree around the holes so I can locate the hole location easier

But I would like to hear what you guys may be doing???

Thanks
Gibby

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
I've heard of guys inserting sticks in the holes after they drill them to help them find the holes. If you want something more viable try cutting some drinking straws in half or thirds and insert them after you drill the holes. They are light weight, easy to carry, nearly the same diameter as the bolts and easy to see. Myself, if I drill a hole, I stick a bolt in the hole removing it only after I've determined I won't be hunting there anymore that season.

Last edited:

Gibby

Apr 5, 2014
I've heard of guys inserting sticks in the holes after they drill them to help them find the holes. If you want something more viable try cutting some drinking straws in half or thirds and insert them after you drill the holes. They are light weight, easy to carry, nearly the same diameter as the bolts and easy to see. Myself, if I drill a hole, I stick a bolt in the hole removing it only after I've determined I won't be hunting there anymore.

How long can you leave a bolt in before it becomes too difficult to remove?
Are you leaving them in for the entire season?

Gibby

Apr 5, 2014
WHW recommends using a saw underneath the hole to mark it on the bark. I've tried this and found it to really help in locating holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats a good idea and not completely obvious to others, thanks

noxninja

Dec 21, 2015
I think the more you do it the better you will get at realizing where your next hole will be. I know when I first started doing it I was experiencing the same thing. “Well I know that dang hole is around here somewhere I drilled it!! “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
How long can you leave a bolt in before it becomes too difficult to remove?
Are you leaving them in for the entire season?

You can leave them in all season with no problems. Getting them out in the winter can be a little difficult if they freeze in place. You may have to tap or turn them to free them from the ice.

PJC

Dec 26, 2016
Some guys rub the bark down around the step up to reduce noise when their boots rub against the tree when climbing. That can make it easier to see where the holes are. Also, having a consistent distance between holes helps. (like knee high on the opposite side of where my current foot is on a peg)
I saw on the market a couple years ago a spray marker material that goes on clear making it invisible to others but reflects in the dark with a flashlight. I've thought of spraying a dot of that above each hole. (If I can find that product) It would be a good way to mark your trail into your stand also rather than tacks. The tasks would get expensive too as would leaving bolts in all your setups for the whole season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk