• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A good book not about hunting, but inadvertantly about hunting

ThumbsMcGee

I just read the book "Comfort Crisis" by Michael Easter. It was a pretty good book about how weak we've become as humans due to modern comforts, but it was also a great read about hunting. Here are my takeaways from the book, besides the great hunting story that is the basis of the book:

- Eat better, but don't do elimination diets. Instead, have a set limit of calories and measure your food.
- Do challenging tasks that have a 50% of failure, but you cannot die.
- To be happier, think about your death every day.
- Start rucking. Rucking has the advantage of resistance training and cardiovascular training all in one. (also, it will help carrying that deer out those woods)

Like what?
One example is to go to a local MWA, and pick the furthest mountain hill from a point where you are. Then you choose to hike to the top of it and back in a single day.

Sometimes is just crazy stuff. A group of people transported a heavy rock underwater in a 5 mile stretch. This involved them diving, caring the rock along the canal bottom for a distance, and coming back up for air, repeat until their distance was complete.

I just read the book "Comfort Crisis" by Michael Easter. It was a pretty good book about how weak we've become as humans due to modern comforts, but it was also a great read about hunting. Here are my takeaways from the book, besides the great hunting story that is the basis of the book:

- Eat better, but don't do elimination diets. Instead, have a set limit of calories and measure your food.
- Do challenging tasks that have a 50% of failure, but you cannot die.
- To be happier, think about your death every day.
- Start rucking. Rucking has the advantage of resistance training and cardiovascular training all in one. (also, it will help carrying that deer out those woods)

I read this book a couple months ago. It was a very good read and does a good job explaining something I have been unable to explain to my wife and kids. They tell me I am weird because I seem to enjoy tasks that suck. I have tried to explain to them that the harder and more miserable something is the bigger sense of accomplishment you have when it's done but, they can't stop focusing on the "hard and miserable" aspects.

Back