• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A little nervous

Grady1985

I am brand new to saddle hunting. I have only been playing around in the yard, but cant wait to get in the woods. I have modified a sit drag and made my own bridge out of Amsteel blue. I am having a hard time putting 100 % of my trust in such a small rope. Would there be any issues with using 3 HSS lineman ropes as my tether, bridge and lineman rope. i have used HSS lineman ropes alot while hanging lock ons so i feel comfortable with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

I still have a HSS rope laying around somewhere that I have used from time-to-time as a LB in a pinch. It's not bad rope however a quick google search yields very little about the actual manufacturer of the rope, it's breaking strength, nor it's composition. In fact if you search for the same thing you'll find a typical AT thread regarding this subject that is less than fruitful.

However on the other hand Samson is quite forthcoming about the specs of it's amsteel blue. I'm perfectly fine trusting my life to amsteel (as are many other saddle hunters), but would I trust HSS as my bridge? Probably not and I would much prefer amsteel over HSS rope. At the end of the day you'll have to weigh the pros and cons and make that distinction for yourself.

I'll leave it to the pros to chime in with their thoughts on HSS rope. Good luck on your saddle journey and welcome to the site!

I've used modified HSS line for both lineman and tether before without issue.
I'll just say this about your gear as I don't use amsteel:
If you don't have complete confidence and trust in your gear then use something else that you will trust and is safe or continue to educate yourself until you do trust it. It doesn't matter if amsteel could hold an airplane up, if you don't trust it you'll have issues. IMO you have to have complete confidence in your gear or you can't complete your mission(which is to harvest an animal in this case). If you don't it'll continually distract you and you'll constantly second guess it.

I appreciate the input and have decided to go with Amsteel as my primary bridge and use a HSS lineman belt tethered to my rock climbing harness as a secondary bridge ( at least until I get my confidence built up ) Thanks again for the feed back fellas. As I said earlier I am new to saddle hunting, and this community of hunters is second to none.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm new to saddles this year too and went through the same delima. Still using the Samson for tether and linesman but ditched the rope bridge on my Kestrel due to bulk and attached an amsteel whoopi for bridge. Even though I practiced with it all spring and summer, knowing full well that it's strong enough, I couldn't get comfortable seeing that thin "piece of string" holding me up. I hunted with it anyway and the whole time I kept getting distracted looking at it. I've now switched to a webbing bridge and my mind feels at ease. I think I would have the same issue with tether and linesman too if I were to use a small diameter rope. Simply because I haven't had enough time and experience to mentally develop a trust for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back