• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A place to start

NWPA22

As I started my move away from a climber and into a saddle I poured over the different threads on this site. It was overwhelming at times, trying to identify and breakdown what gear I would need to start saddle hunting. Each time I made a decision, and a corresponding purchase or 2 :grinning:, I moved on to the next piece that I needed to review. Hopefully this will help some of the other new saddle hunters know what they are up against. For each of these you can search this site and find numerous threads discussing options and products.

If there is anything I missed please add on!

1. Saddle ( Tethrd, Aerohunter, Jx3, DIY)
2. Climbing method (How are you getting up the tree to hunting height)
3. Platform vs Ring Of Steps (this is what you will stand on at hunting height)
4. How will you carry 1 and 2 into the woods (If using sticks will you strap them to a pack or carry the bundle some other way)
5. Do you have a pack that will do what you need it to do (You don't need anything fancy as long as it will work for you)
6. How are you going to haul your weapon up the tree (Gear hoist of some sort, paracord figure 8 method etc..)
7. If using sticks to climb how will you carry sticks up as you climb (I bought J hooks from doublesteps.com and tied paracord around stick standoffs to carry extras up as I go)
8. Knee Pads
9. How will you hang bow and gear when you get to height, G2 Outdoors has a great youtube video addressing this Titled
"The Ultimate Gear Hanger System for Tree Saddles"
10. Is there anything you want to do to cut weight or silence gear
11. Practice
*This could be a point by itself but learning to tie some knots if you don't already know

Good summary for a lot of information. The huge thing I would add and encourage newbies to do in addition to reading through threads here is to put your hands on gear before you even think about buying anything, or at least buy used to start with, and not spend full price. There are simply too many personal variables to consider and hands on is the only true way to know what fits you best. Use the site to find someone close by and ask to see their gear first. Area Saddlepaloozas are an even better place to see more options in one place.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Buy what you need, then get off this forum and practice. Dont fall down the spiral gear hole your first year. Every option is a good one if you spend time using it and learning how to use it.
This is spot on!!

There is so much "gear" floating around and everyone uses everything. Find a system you like and that fits into your budget and go for it! A lot of people say buy both and see which one you like more. Well some people don't have the luxury of "trying" everything! Get a saddle, figure out your climbing system, and ****ing send it!!
But be safe tho! :p

Good summary for a lot of information. The huge thing I would add and encourage newbies to do in addition to reading through threads here is to put your hands on gear before you even think about buying anything, or at least buy used to start with, and not spend full price. There are simply too many personal variables to consider and hands on is the only true way to know what fits you best. Use the site to find someone close by and ask to see their gear first. Area Saddlepaloozas are an even better place to see more options in one place.

John H., Hickory, NC

I had a discussion with Allegheny Tom about that, I had heard about meetups and saddle events but did not know how to find this info. That is a great addition though, would have been helpful to be able to see and touch gear before buying.

I'd also recommend that someone wanting to buy a saddle to use this season pay close attention to shipping times of the various brands. Season is getting close and demand for saddles and saddle related gear is high... which means the wait is long for some stuff. The Classifieds here are a great place to pick up some gear without the wait.

John H., Hickory, NC

Couldn't be more true. I've spent a lot of money and time over the years finding out what works for me and how I like to do things. It would've definately helped if this forum was around then. @NWPA22 if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask before spending hard earned cash. A lot of us in this site have tried just about everything at some point

I think the best learning tool is this site. Most of what I've purchased was because of this site and nothing was a waste. There were things I bought that worked but found out there was something I liked better. I've only traded away two things everything else I've kept and use. Steps, sticks, bolts, ladders, platforms. I use them all but some more than others.

I've always said hunters will buy anything twice. Saddle hunters will buy them 4x and still wonder if they need more, even for the stuff they don't want. Anyone want to buy some magic bottled urine for $50/oz? Guaranteed you will see A deer this season or I will send you another bottle free :)

John H., Hickory, NC

“You sure are cocky for a starvin’ pilgrim.”

Back