• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A plea for help. Conservation and Heritage

Camelcluch

SH Member
As many know, Colorado is on the verge of losing mountain lion hunting. The scary part is the wording of the entire document. It has nothing to do with conservation but basically makes lion hunting illegal. The wording is such that you can substitute any animal for lions. I’m asking help to preserve conservation and our heritage as hunters. If you have not joined Howlforwildlife.org, please sign up. It’s free and they fight for our rights as hunters and fishermen. They fight across world. Also, savethehuntcolorado.com is an amazing group of lawyers fighting for us.
Please look into these groups. If Colorado loses like we did wolves, this plan will spread across the country. Thanks for your time.

They're also outlawing gas lawn equipment. Can't act as if it's not coming from the same place.

I say so be it, when suburban people start losing their animals and small kids to lions I’ll sit here saying yep that’s what happens. Play stupid games wins stupid prizes. Just a shame the farmers and people who’s livelihood is the land have to deal with the influx of them, oh and they just added more wolves too. Fun times!

I say so be it, when suburban people start losing their animals and small kids to lions I’ll sit here saying yep that’s what happens. Play stupid games wins stupid prizes. Just a shame the farmers and people who’s livelihood is the land have to deal with the influx of them, oh and they just added more wolves too. Fun times!
It’s an interesting philosophical question: when a massive portion of the populus form an opionion without any basis in reality, fact or personal experience, but cultivated entirely on emotion, feeling and perhaps from some shared fictional narrative - is it possible to reach those people or is this narrative forever fixed for them as reality?

This dilemma exists all across our modern culture. In a thousand issues and topics. We all have deep seated belief systems based in what we think we know. Is it possible to reach someone and introduce them to a perspective they’d not before considered? could you change their mind?

And what about each of us - are we open minded enough to shift our beliefs after learning new things?

Many things in our world are changing, like it or not. And those things are going to be hot button topics that require a lot of discussion and advocacy. If any of us wish to successfully have our opinions heard, we really need to think about ways to approach the conversation constructively.

Last edited:
We need at least 85 more signatures. Our governor appointed his husband to the commission. He is an anti hunting extremist. They then appointed some extremist friends.

We need at least 85 more signatures. Our governor appointed his husband to the commission. He is an anti hunting extremist. They then appointed some extremist friends.
84. I’m not in your state though so those would carry more weight but I’m here to help as I can.

Thank you!! It doesn’t matter where you live. Howl fights all over. I sign all the petitions for the states and even Canada, New Zealand and Australia. The anti’s do the same thing. We need to help each other stop this craziness.

Thank you!! It doesn’t matter where you live. Howl fights all over. I sign all the petitions for the states and even Canada, New Zealand and Australia. The anti’s do the same thing. We need to help each other stop this craziness.
I agree and do the same, donate where and when I can for them, as we all do. If we could get all the people who have an opinion on scent control to put their name on a bill we’d be unstoppable.

A little more info. The governor’s husband and his friends have tried ban mountain lion hunting 3 or more times in the past. They used the premise that mountain lion meat is uneatable and that the lions are only killed for a trophy. The extremist groups never really have fact but use emotion. The same group had school children name the wolves that were released. It’s all an emotional attack on people that don’t know the truth and sway a vote.

www.savethehuntcolorado.com

Last edited:
There is a lot of good programming already out there that promotes the wise use of natural resources, programs on inclusion in traditionally underserved cultures, but these things need to shift to a more national voice. Rogan, Meateater, THP are doing some of this…. I like THP’s clean up public lands day initiative going on this weekend I believe in OH and MO, but we still need more national level promoters. It’s hard for urban cultures to understand hunting they are so far removed. Animals are people to many. Back in the day on the farm you understood, that understanding is lost nowadays. Many game species were extirpated due to expansion, agricultural practices, etc., in sum, habitat loss. That should be the greater cause of concern for everyone imho. Our inner cities rot away so instead of rebuilding them we expand outward. In NYS alone I read a sobering statistic from the NYCOM that approximately 40k acres of open space are lost every year to urban sprawl.
There also isn’t enough understanding of what the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937 has done and continues to do for game and wildlife management, and all funded by hunters and guns and ammo purchases. It’s laughable how NYS is now shooting itself in the foot as it continues to impose more onerous regulations on gun and now ammo purchases, the very thing that helps directly fund a lot of what the environmental enforcement agencies do for the state.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good programming already out there that promotes the wise use of natural resources, programs on inclusion in traditionally underserved cultures, but these things need to shift to a more national voice. Rogan, Meateater, THP are doing some of this…. I like THP’s clean up public lands day initiative going on this weekend I believe in OH and MO, but we still need more national level promoters. It’s hard for urban cultures to understand hunting they are so far removed. Animals are people to many. Back in the day on the farm you understood, that understanding is lost nowadays. Many game species were extirpated due to expansion, agricultural practices, etc., in sum, habitat loss. That should be the greater cause of concern for everyone imho. Our inner cities rot away so instead of rebuilding them we expand outward. In NYS alone I read a sobering statistic from the NYCOM that approximately 40k acres of open space are lost every year to urban sprawl.
There also isn’t enough understanding of what the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937 has done and continues to do for game and wildlife management, and all funded by hunters and guns and ammo purchases. It’s laughable how NYS is now shooting itself in the foot as it continues to impose more onerous regulations on gun and now ammo purchases, the very thing that helps directly fund a lot of what the environmental enforcement agencies do for the state.
Well said.

i believe that we hunters must cultivate a public image that enables the non hunting public to garner respect for us and what we do. There are elements of the hunt that a non hunter will never understand and that’s ok. As my old time farming ancestors would say: keep that talk in the barn. But there are all these other facets of what we we do that when shared can help people to appreciate and even remember the beauty and necessity of hunting. THP is definitely picking up on this need and starting to really promote some of the most relate-able elements of hunting culture: feeding our family’s, spending time with our kids and ancestors, revisiting family hunting camps, cooking and feeding other people. And programs like hunters for the hungry are another great outreach tool. I mean really, we have the ability to bring large amounts of food to those in great need - is that not one of the most loving, caring, and sophisticated things that any person can do?

We need to realize that that the hunting media is a double edged sword. All of the content that allows us to learn and get excited by others hunts is also something that can misrepresent us to the public. I’m not sure how we can walk that line, but I know we can make sure that we are emphasizing an image that promotes our positive qualities.

The stuff THP and Seek One are doing is awesome. It definitely helps public image and does it in a smart way. Can’t argue with 700# of donated meat to the hungry. Howl and CRWM fight the political battles that hit the public with little time to for the public to be educated. We need to start educating the non hunter (not the extremist) what hunting really is and that in provides for the everyone in the public.
I’m not terrific at explaining everything but that GoHunt Podcast with Howl and CRWM explains a lot of what the two groups do.

Back