• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A revolutionary idea

William74080

I really like the idea of bolts and aiders mainly cause their the lightest and most compact.. so would it be feasible to combine the two? You would have half the holes to drill and use the wider between the bolts... @Nutterbuster is the pro on bolts so wonder what his thoughts are as well as everyone else.

I tried an aider with bolts a few years ago, and just couldn’t get comfortable in full gear. I have become less and less of a fan of long aiders. A 1 or 2 step aider from a stick isn’t too bad, because the weight is generally straight down from the supporting point. With aiders on bolts, you start getting tangential force when weight is applied. Too many variables for me.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I don't think the added difficulty of using an aider at height is worth not carrying another bolt. I don't think it would really save weight and definitely would not save bulk. Presumably the holes are a preset but if not what would the time savings really be and should we be rushing to climb trees fast on a initial setup anyways.

I made an aider out of amsteel. It works well, and I have a section of hot water heater hose threaded on it. It seems to work...I'll test it out more this week. I'll post a picture later of my aider and the bolts.

I'm personally not a fan of aiders. A big part of the appeal of bolts for me is that they can be used without aiders and still beat it every other method for weight and compactness.

Flingin says 7 bolts will get him to 24ft. I can hit that with 12 and no aiders. It takes me all of 30 seconds, max, to drill a hole. An extra 2.5 minutes and the weight penalty of 5 bolts vs the weight of an aider is a small price for me to pay for not having to run the risk an aider adds to a system.

I like having something solid to stand on.

I'm personally not a fan of aiders. A big part of the appeal of bolts for me is that they can be used without aiders and still beat it every other method for weight and compactness.

Flingin says 7 bolts will get him to 24ft. I can hit that with 12 and no aiders. It takes me all of 30 seconds, max, to drill a hole. An extra 2.5 minutes and the weight penalty of 5 bolts vs the weight of an aider is a small price for me to pay for not having to run the risk an aider adds to a system.

I like having something solid to stand on.
This.

I think aiders at sexy! Lol. Saying that I’m not sure how safe I would feel having them on a bolt. That just seems like an “in loving memory” post in the making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a 1.a.m. cant sleep idea and thought I'd throw it out there. I'm drt right now but always out for new ideas too.

Back