• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A short post on my deer season results

kyler1945

SH Member
Short? From Kyler?! No way.

I found out I was going to be a papa, so I had to get very efficient with my time.

I shot my first mule deer in Colorado. I learned about some of the allure of private land in the process.

As far as whitetail go, I hunted in 3 states. I spent time in the woods on 20 total days. Well call it an average of 6 hours per day. I averaged 6+ miles a day walking from September 1-Jan15, to give you an idea of how much I move around. I climbed a tree 7 different times, for a total of about 20-24 hours.

Results:

I saw deer on 13 of 20 days in the field.

I saw deer I would shoot on 3 of 7 times in a tree.

I saw deer on 3 of 7 times in a tree.

I had legal bucks within weapon range on 7 separate occasions. 2 of these were while in a tree.

I had three of what would be my largest deer killed in range. 1 time while in a tree.

I had 19 deer I would shoot within weapon range on 13 different occasions. I discharged my weapon 8 times, at 6 animals, 7 shots on ground, 1 shot from tree.

One animal, the largest deer I’ve ever see on hoof in weapon range with a chance to shoot it, escaped with my arrow. Dog was called next day, confident deer was still alive. Confirmed later that day by random hunter who encountered the buck, who was dogging a doe.

A doe was missed by hitting a branch.

Doe stomach/liver shot recovered 100 yards.

Doe 3 shots, spine/neck/double lung, recovered 20 yards.

9pt double lung recovered 100 yards.

6pt double lung recovered 10 yards.

Two encounters worth mentioning, they were the two bucks not shot at:

one was while scouting, very large 8pt heard me coming and assumed I was another deer and came grunting at me. I heard him about 50 yards away. I hit a knee and shouldered my rifle(semi auto with reflex sight). I stopped hearing the deer. Assumed he stopped. Turns out he was on quiet trail. I had lowered my rifle to get better view. He popped out of thicket at 15 yards, I couldn’t move. Gave me 2 seconds and bolted.

One was very large 10pt. Hung a camera in an area with good sign, but assumed all nighttime. Wrong. Checked camera for exercise, and Many legal bucks and lots of does in daytime. Made a hunt when weather and wind was right midweek several days later. Deer did exactly what they had done on camera, grunted 10pt from scrape 50 yards away, ran to 5 yards, stopped behind tree, winded me, bolted. Mini sat on my shoulder unable to do anything.

Last edited:
Well, maybe next year will be better for you lol. jk. Sounds like you had a great season cept them big guys always seem to be able to give us the slip.

Well, maybe next year will be better for you lol. jk. Sounds like you had a great season cept them big guys always seem to be able to give us the slip.

It’s really something. Hunting from the ground is a rodeo much of the time. But in the case of the giant, I was 30 yards from him bedded for almost 30 minutes. I had plenty of time to calm the nerves. I didn’t feel any sense of urgency or panic when I let loose. In hindsight he had zero idea I was there when I let loose.

And yet I have to say it’s nerves, because there’s nothing else I can point to. No branches. No stand contact with bow. Nothing.

It felt good to hear he was still chasing hunnies. It felt not so good to hear the other hunter describe how big his head gear was.

Is the ground game a new-ish thing for you, or have you been doing it awhile? I like to ground hunt once in awhile as a switch-up, but I just can't say I'm very effective or efficient with a bow.

How do you anticipate the lil' one affecting your time in the woods?

It’s really something. Hunting from the ground is a rodeo much of the time. But in the case of the giant, I was 30 yards from him bedded for almost 30 minutes. I had plenty of time to calm the nerves. I didn’t feel any sense of urgency or panic when I let loose. In hindsight he had zero idea I was there when I let loose.

And yet I have to say it’s nerves, because there’s nothing else I can point to. No branches. No stand contact with bow. Nothing.

It felt good to hear he was still chasing hunnies. It felt not so good to hear the other hunter describe how big his head gear was.

Compound bow? A little extra string pressure from over focusing? That's one I have to watch out for anyway.

Is the ground game a new-ish thing for you, or have you been doing it awhile? I like to ground hunt once in awhile as a switch-up, but I just can't say I'm very effective or efficient with a bow.

How do you anticipate the lil' one affecting your time in the woods?

Ground game is not new. I don’t do it on purpose, per se. I just start walking till I find deer. Many times(over half the deer I’ve killed) I’m getting in range without ever considering getting in a tree. But it isn’t the intent. I set out to find deer or a place to kill deer. I mean, I enjoy a peaceful morning in a tree. But the most efficient use of my time has been walking, in season, with my gear, ready to shoot a deer when I see it, climb a tree, or sit on the ground. There are edge cases in some of my known good trees. But I like new dirt - it’s a disease. If I had the hickory creek mini the last 10 years, I’d have killed at least a couple dozen more deer. Compound certainly adds some intrigue.

I expect the little one to cut back my hunting time dramatically. Heck, mama is just hitting 30 weeks yesterday, and I only spent a total of 120 hours or so in the woods from October 1 to Jan. 15. Last season I hunted more than I ever have. Big change.

My guess is there’s no way that number approaches 100 hours this year. And I’m ok with that. I have property close to home I can do decent in, and I’ll have at least 2 long weekends in the good spots I know well.

Back