• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

About to buy first saddle

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
I've been considering making the switch to hunting out of a saddle, instead of my fixed stands for a while now. The biggest deterrent has been the costs of saddles, it was hard to drop $400 on something I wasn't sure if I would like.

However, I had finally made the decision to make the leap and went to the New Tribe website to order the Evolution and discovered that they now make the Kestrel, for even less money. So, for once my indecision seems to have saved me some money.

My question is regarding the Kestrel saddle only vs the hunting kit. It appears the hunting kit comes with a lineman's belt, tree strap, and back band. I already have a lineman's belt that came with my HSS vest and I have several HSS lifelines with a prusik knot and carabiner laying around. It appears that I could take an HSS lifeline, cut it to 12' long and use it as a tree strap, correct?. I also could use anything from a rifle sling to a bino strap as a back band. I hate to spend another $110 on stuff I already have, especially when that $110 will buy whatever climbing method I decide on (I will take suggestions on that also).

Am I missing something or will the stuff I already have work? Thanks in advance for your suggestions/help.

I decided to save the money and go with the accessories I already have. I can always buy them later if needed. Hss tree strap will work. The lifeline is what I use. Never used a back band. Just remember your life is in those ropes ! These ropes were designed to protect in a fall not for supporting your weight for hours at a time. I use them and am confident in them but some of the other guys may disagree.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I decided to save the money and go with the accessories I already have. I can always buy them later if needed. Hss tree strap will work. The lifeline is what I use. Never used a back band. Just remember your life is in those ropes ! These ropes were designed to protect in a fall not for supporting your weight for hours at a time. I use them and am confident in them but some of the other guys may disagree.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I feel the same way.

First let me welcome you to Saddlehunter!! As far as jumping into saddle hunting you will definitely not be disappointed. Saddles do cost a fair amount so I can sympathize with your weariness however when you buy say a decent climber you will almost be right up there in cost. For example you buy the climber, junk the safety harness that came with it and buy a more comfortable one, then buy tree straps and linemans belts etc. You then have spent the same amount and can only climb straight trees. With hangon's you have to buy sticks and then your stuck in one tree.

Buy a saddle and some climbing sticks and your good to go any tree any where no matter what!! Moving on you could repurpose your lifelines and such but I my opinion I don't particularly care for that and would upgrade to the more specific climbing lines associated with tree climbing. I think you will find that the ropes will last longer then the HSS stuff and those ropes are not necessarily made for sustaining a load for extended periods of time. They are made to stop a fall. You would be better off with an arborist or static line instead.

Saddle hunting does have a learning curve and a saddle comfortability curve. It can be weird facing the other direction especially after years of facing the other way. You will have to spend a good amount of time adjusting your saddles comfort however if you decide to say get the kestrel you will be able to make adjustments on the fly in the tree if you decide your not comfortable. Carabiners should also be upgraded as well from HSS. I have broken many in my day at least the gate portion. Climbing rated ones tend to be rated better and are built with better materials and craftsmanship.

It can be overwhelming to make the jump to the saddle. You could buy a little overtime and work into it that way. If you get a saddle you should just maintain and open mind and perspective as it is not so to say your grandparents way of hunting and be open to the differences that come with this style.

I also want to state that these are my opinions from time and experience and some may disagree or agree. I have fallen 20+ plus feet and walking away unscathed was a matter of pure luck or someone watching out for me. Since that day safety is my priority even though I still take risks my gear is intended to increase the safety factor so I don't fall!! Good luck to you!!

Last edited:
Use what you have. Save the money. Welcome!

Yup save the money learn from this site and then figure out what you want to upgrade as the cash allows

I would think a dynamic fall would put more stress on a rope than a static constant stress. Force is related to distance and weight is it not . The way we use our rope we do not cause stress on the rope just friction and wear

So save your money. It is nice to have the very best lightest rope but not essential. HSS rope should be good IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purely my opinion only but I believe that anyone entering into saddle hunting it would be in there best interest to utilize the options Newtribe sells in there package. There are alot of things that go into saddle hunting and alot of content that goes on this site which a new guy may miss. I mean a new guy can get overwhelmed with the amount of things that get posted and the change of gear and stuff of that nature.

If money is the issue (believe me I understand) then save where you can just don't use any equipment without inspecting it. I am assuming the OP's ropes have some wear already. Ensure you know your knots and work your system at the ground level and get comfortable before aerial.

Purely my opinion only but I believe that anyone entering into saddle hunting it would be in there best interest to utilize the options Newtribe sells in there package. There are alot of things that go into saddle hunting and alot of content that goes on this site which a new guy may miss. I mean a new guy can get overwhelmed with the amount of things that get posted and the change of gear and stuff of that nature.

If money is the issue (believe me I understand) then save where you can just don't use any equipment without inspecting it. I am assuming the OP's ropes have some wear already. Ensure you know your knots and work your system at the ground level and get comfortable before aerial.
I would agree unless money is an issue.

If you can afford it, NewTribes full setup will be better. HSS rope and carabiners aren't great.
I would agree if money is no issue.

I have an HSS rope. It is adequate but not the greatest rope. The caribiners are usually steel heavy and probably strong enough. The New tribes kit comes with better biners and rope and it is all set up for you but if you want to save cash for now - I get that and it will be fine.
The New Tribes system is great for a newbie

Last edited:
Thinking about this some more. If I had $100 to spend above the plain saddle cost, I would buy two ropeman 1 and two good aluminium caribiners instead of the samson predator and prussics from New tribes. Later, I would up grade the rope to samson ultra tech or samson predator.

NewTribe is using Fusion carabiners so no waste there (unless you already have good biners). You would only be replacing the prusiks with Ropeman so not a lot of waste there. You can always use the prusiks for Autoblocks for rappel. NewTribes rope definitely won't need an upgrade either.

There is a big benefit learning and confidence wise in seeing a professionally preset rig.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I am going to order the Aero saddle and the Aero tree strap separately. I will use my HSS lineman's belt and come up with a back band. That seems like a good compromise that will save me around $70 compared to the kit, plus I will then still have all of my HSS safety lines for my son to use (at least until he sees me hanging from trees in a saddle and wants his own). I will use the $70 saved towards a climbing method.

Speaking of climbing methods; I plan on using screw in tree steps on my lease and just presetting all of my trees. I do plan on doing some hunting on Public land and I am leaning towards these for that purpose. Thoughts?

Back