• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Accessing fencerows

Bowhunter33

Hey guys, newbie saddle hunter here. I'm hoping I can get some help on figuring out how to access this spot come September bow opener here in Nebraska. The property I recently gained permission on is the middle 80 acres in the photo with the two fingers of trees coming out into the corn. I was speed scouting that south fence line on August 1st and jumped a bachelor group bedded on that finger of trees I have marked in blue. They went off to the south towards the pond thats on the neighboring property. I set 2 cameras up, one in the corner of that finger of trees and one to the east along the corn where I had accessed in to scout it. I parked on the road to the east and walked straight west down that line. Both cameras are catching the buck along the corn, and there's hot sign all along that south fencerow. In total I have 13 different bucks using that travel corridor. I wanted to acces from the south property and creep along the fencrow to setup but i don't think I'll be able to gain that permission. How would you access/setup on this?
5bf01abbe65d1f5abd502ea62b2e4dc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I have had great success over the years with people allowing me to use their property only for access if they know that I am not hunting on their property always worth a try. I know thats not what you were looking for but I have had good luck with talking to them.

If you jumped the bachelor group from the south fence line, I definitely wouldn't want to access from the south fence line. The predominant wind is from the SW here this time of year, and I'm guessing they're bedding low in that waterway to catch any scent from the surrounding field and bedding on the ridges of that hill to the south of the property too with a S/SW wind. If you park far enough away on the road, walk that north fence line with a SW crosswind and take it really SLOW. I'd set up on that north fence line somewhere looking into that bedding point/low waterway and see what you can see or make your way down the north fence and take the west fenceline headed south. With a decent wind blowing across you and you looking down into that point, hopefully the thermals wont suck your scent down into the waterway. I could see deer bedding in that group of trees to the NE watching the road though too so you'd have you be careful walking in there too. Is that two track along the north of the property a minimum maintenance road or a mowed access? If so, that would be a great way to sneak in quiet. Oh, don't get hung up on using a saddle either if the trees suck. I've hunted many fence rows here with just a fold up seat and ghillie suit.

Last edited:
Do not underestimate the power of having someone drop you off from a tractor or truck - deer get used to that sort of intrusion on farmland.

If you jumped the bachelor group from the south fence line, I definitely wouldn't want to access from the south fence line. The predominant wind is from the SW here this time of year, and I'm guessing they're bedding low in that waterway to catch any scent from the surrounding field and bedding on the ridges of that hill to the south of the property too with a S/SW wind. If you park far enough away on the road, walk that north fence line with a SW crosswind and take it really SLOW. I'd set up on that north fence line somewhere looking into that bedding point/low waterway and see what you can see or make your way down the north fence and take the west fenceline headed south. With a decent wind blowing across you and you looking down into that point, hopefully the thermals wont suck your scent down into the waterway. I could see deer bedding in that group of trees to the NE watching the road though too so you'd have you be careful walking in there too. Is that two track along the north of the property a minimum maintenance road or a mowed access? If so, that would be a great way to sneak in quiet. Oh, don't get hung up on using a saddle either if the trees suck. I've hunted many fence rows here with just a fold up seat and ghillie suit.
The north fencerow used to be an old county road 20+ years ago, now its all grown up with huge cottonwoods and thick grassy underbrush. I haven't really scouted that north side yet, but I do know deer travel through there often and that fence to the far west going north/south has very heavy traffic, that fence connects to a creek bottom to the north I have permission on as well.

The north fencerow used to be an old county road 20+ years ago, now its all grown up with huge cottonwoods and thick grassy underbrush. I haven't really scouted that north side yet, but I do know deer travel through there often and that fence to the far west going north/south has very heavy traffic, that fence connects to a creek bottom to the north I have permission on as well.

Good luck I hope you get a shot at a nice one out of there. The only other advice I can give from my past mistakes is to fight the urge to go in there too much. If it's a good spot, it's a good spot but those big guys don't seem to tolerate pressure at all and they'll just move over to the adjacent property.

Back