• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Accessory Cord and hitch for Rappeling on Oplux

predatorhunter

I hav searched this forum for option on accessory cord and friction hitches for rappeling on Oplux. While there is a lot of information, I am hoping people can reply with a simple. Cordage used including length and friction hitch. I was getting ready to take the shotgun approach and buy a bunch of different options and trying. But that got expensive quick.

Something like:
Bluewater sewn Prusik 6.5mm 44" Klemheist Hitch

Thanks for any replies.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best cord I have found for friction hitches on Oplux is Beal 5.5mm cord, the same cord used to make the Beal Jammy. For rappelling, you want more than just a friction hitch, you should use an ATC, Figure-8 or other friction device backed by an autoblock. If you have never rappelled, I highly suggest you get some training, rappelling improperly can injure or kill you.

The best cord I have found for friction hitches on Oplux is Beal 5.5mm cord, the same cord used to make the Beal Jammy. For rappelling, you want more than just a friction hitch, you should use an ATC, Figure-8 or other friction device backed by an autoblock. If you have never rappelled, I highly suggest you get some training, rappelling improperly can injure or kill you.
Thanks, I do have an ATC. I have been practicing at low heights since last year. Probably no higher than 7'. What length Jammy did you use and are you using the autoblock(French Prusik) or some other friction hitch?

6.5mm cord is too thick to work properly on 8mm rope. Sterling recommends 6mm TRC which I have tried, but found it did not always lock on Oplux when tied in a Distel Hitch. If you want to use a Klemheist, get a 35mm Beal Jammy.

Thanks, I do have an ATC. I have been practicing at low heights since last year. Probably no higher than 7'. What length Jammy did you use and are you using the autoblock(French Prusik) or some other friction hitch?

I use an Autoblock. For that you may want the 55mm Jammy. I tie my own with 5.5mm Beal cord and don't know the exact length.

6.5mm cord id too thick to work properly on 8mm rope. Sterling recommends 6mm TRC which I have tried, but found it did not always lock on Oplux when tied in a Distel Hitch. If you want to use a Klemheist, get a 35mm Beal Jammy.
I have been using the Beal Jammy and a Michoacan hitch. <- This hitch seems to work best for me on the Oplux but the Beal Jammy is not available with sewn eyes. That is what lead me to the research and ultimately the question.

I used the 6.5mm in my original post as a sample of the type of info I was look to get.

I have been using the Beal Jammy and a Michoacan hitch. <- This hitch seems to work best for me on the Oplux but the Beal Jammy is not available with sewn eyes. That is what lead me to the research and ultimately the question.

I used the 6.5mm in my original post as a sample of the type of info I was look to get.
The Jammy WILL work tied as an autoblock, as long as the length is correct.

I use the 6mm TRC that Sterling recommends. I have never had an issue with the TRC and I use a distel hitch.

When I used it, it seemed to stiff. At times, when I adjusted it, the coils would loosen on my main rope (as they should), but when I put weight on it, the loose coils would just slide down the rope rather than grabbing.

Didn’t take long for mine to break in. Maybe try adding another wrap in your friction hitch.

I'm using oplux with a Grivel master mono belay device with Beal Kevlar 5.5 mm cordelette tied in a klemheist for a back up knot. It is working well. I have also ordered 6mm trc but its not here yet.

I am not rappelling on Oplux yet but use it for lineman and tether. I have identical lines with TRC on one and Beal cordelette on the other both in Distel (48 in but could have gone shorter, they have long tails) The TRC is older and now that it’s seasoned, seems to be a little tougher to completely release, but still works well with a tender. I did see a picture on here of a melted Beal jammy so I’d be hesitant to zip down a long rappel using that cord as an autoblock.

Last edited:
Back