• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Actual cost to run cell cameras

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

I've read into plans and various things, but there are a lot of variables to me. Practically speaking, what does it actually cost to run a cell cam? Is it any better if you run multiples? I'm talking in addition to the camera cost itself.

I've been enjoying using a camera the past two years for situational stuff. But, its card based and a cheaper cam that was given to me. I would love to have a half dozen cell cams I could put out but it looks like it could be $10-$20 a month per camera. I know that can't be right though and I'm missing something.

Thanks,
rick

I run Tactacam Reveals. I use the standard $5 per month plan per camera. That gives me 250 pics per month. If you have multiple cams then it’s $5 for each, but the pics go to a pool of pics. So if one cam goes over 250 pics it can use pic allotment from the other cams on your plan. I currently run 10 cams which is $50 a month and gives me a pool of 2500 pics a month. If you use all 2500, it will either stop sending pics or you can enable overage coverage which will charge you $5 per 250 additional pics.

I use spypoint cell cams. I recommend that you get the club membership for the additional perks and discounts.

Club membership $96/yr to maintain the free 250 photos per month per camera.
OR
Unlimited Photos: $96/year/camera
1702071020655.png
I currently have 5 cell cams and it's $400/yr(3 on premium plans & 2 on Basic).
1702071866772.png

If interested, let me know and I'll send you a referral and we both get discounts. eMail me at Sechelik@gmail.com

Last edited:
The cell cam concept has a lot of benefits. But anything that adds more monthly bills and wants to up charge me to the more expensive plan just because squirrels and wind are triggering the cameras is a deal breaker.

For you guys who do have monthly cell cam plans, how have the conversations with your spouses gone?
I only have them on from September-Jan so 160-200$ initially she was like great another hunting expense but now she likes that I can pattern movement based on wind/weather & deer activity in general. Plus I’m not driving out & swapping cards plus buying extra cards. I totally get it’s not for everyone but it’s an expense during season that makes me more efficient. Plus I have 1 cam 2 hours away in the mountains & if I made that trip 1 time to hunt/ pull a card unnecessarily then it washes out the rest of my fees for the season…
Also a few times a year my wife says we’re not doing anything this evening go kill that big one…..

I have spypoint cams, I rarely need more than the free 100 photos per month per camera, but usually I’ll throw $5 on a really hot camera or two, like in November, or during spring turkey season, or when season is about to start. Max I’ve spent in a month was $20, in a year maaaaaaaaybe $75 on 4 cams total. That’s unusually high for me though.

For you guys who do have monthly cell cam plans, how have the conversations with your spouses gone?
This isn’t the saddle support thread. LOL.
Seriously me and my wife don’t have those conversations unless the savings account starts moving in the wrong direction. If things were where I had to choose between taking my wife to dinner or having a cell cam I wouldn’t be dealing with an angry hungry wife.

I have spypoint cams, I rarely need more than the free 100 photos per month per camera, but usually I’ll throw $5 on a really hot camera or two, like in November, or during spring turkey season, or when season is about to start. Max I’ve spent in a month was $20, in a year maaaaaaaaybe $75 on 4 cams total. That’s unusually high for me though.

X2

On top of that I run cheap dollar sore batteries. I put them out in August and they still have 50% battery life.

Where you put your camera matters as far as the package you need. I have cameras over corn that will take 250 pictures in one night. I have others over scrapes that average five a day. The camera matters also. I have Moultrie edges that take half as many photos as my tactacams. I never get pictures of squirrels, rabbits etc on my moultrie edge cameras. And I’ve witnessed multiple deer walk by them without getting a pic also.

hi gents,

I ended up with a basic spypoint to start. I went with the cheapie at $70. I might only need the 100 free photos which would be great. If I need more the prices were reasonable and not a monthly commitment if I don't want it to be. And since its running down towards the end of the season this is like a taster. If I like it, its easy to add a couple more.

Also, given my other 'stolen cam' thread cheap is good for now.

thanks all!

I used my two tactacams from September until the end of November and cancelled the plans. The least expensive option was more than enough to get me the info I needed for three months of hunting season.

For anyone's future reference if you're looking at Spypoint cams I found a complication.

The SD card you install has to be formatted before use, otherwise the camera won't connect to the cellular network. All of the camera features are controlled by your phone through the cellular network. So there is no way to make changes in the camera or even set it up unless you're on the network. Mine also required a firmware update to be put onto the formatted SD card, inserted in the camera, and restarted. All of that shouldn't be an issue. However, you can't format an SD card though iOS (phone nor ipad). You have to have a physical computer (mac or PC) to do it. The only physical computer we use in my house is my work computer which is locked to external devices and drives. Quite the pickle. I was lucky that my OLD macbook that we don't use anymore still fired up and I was able to do it. if you don't have access to a computer that will let you format an external drive- don't go to the spypoint LM2.

It would be outrageous to run them year round, but I only run my cams from late September to early December. Same 5$ a month plan across my 18 reveals. Plus 4 moultrie edges. 1 day of OT covers the entire season

Back