• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding Cleat to Helium Climbing stick

Ted Feight

Again I am not new to saddle hunting, I have done it to decades. I am new to one stick climbing and modifying my Hawk Leluim sticks.

My question is what size screw to use in the 150 Harken Marine Cleat I am putting on it. What grade screw and what else do I need to know about doing this?

I had thought I had bookmarked a You Tube video, but I can not find it now?

Thank you for your help in advance!

God bless!

Ted Feight

I assume you meant helium stick. Try the search and you'll find there are a ton of threads and info on here about adding a cam cleat. I went with a #10 2 1/2 stainless screw grade unknown with nylon nut. I just bought them off the shelf at the local hardware. I bought the flat head cap screw for a more flush mount.

Cotehex,

Thank you!

Yes, I meant helium. I just was not sure what to use. I will take your suggestion.

God bless!

Ted Feight

Looks like I have one more question. When adding the Cam Cleat to the Hawk Helium stick, where do you attach the end of the rope not going through the cleat?

Looks like I have one more question. When adding the Cam Cleat to the Hawk Helium stick, where do you attach the end of the rope not going through the cleat?
Cut the aluminum with an angle grinder.
7739e4f1748a9e21acb8f7b309c8338c.jpg
f263390c71aadf93520e25cb4e0c876d.jpg
8587636badb5c462ac8b9950879532a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Are you able to check integrity on that entire piece of rope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just something you should do often. Any advantage to running it like that over figure 8 on bite around helium under cleat where you can see rope in its entirety?Also, check just before that knot if thats coming out of drill hole. Any sharp corners can shear that knot off.

Cut the aluminum with an angle grinder.
7739e4f1748a9e21acb8f7b309c8338c.jpg
f263390c71aadf93520e25cb4e0c876d.jpg
8587636badb5c462ac8b9950879532a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk
Oh, I like your suggesting more than what I did.

Thank you!

I enlarged part of the side elongated hole to 10 mm and ran it through the side. I will have to test it a little.

Again THANK YOU and God bless!

Ted Feight

Just something you should do often. Any advantage to running it like that over figure 8 on bite around helium under cleat where you can see rope in its entirety?Also, check just before that knot if thats coming out of drill hole. Any sharp corners can shear that knot off.

This is how it looks! Open to suggestions.

I am not sure the images are downloading?

God bless!

Ted Feight

This works well too, to avoid having the rope being fed through a sharp-edged hole.
d2fafec859dc4a6ecf23a5308630dcdb.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike

If I ever add cam cleats to a stick (happy with muddy pros), that is exactly how I plan on attaching the rope. No need for extra holes in the stick and even pressure above and below the cam cleat.

Exactly. That rope through hole is spooky

Back