• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

advice for DIY saddle hunting practice w/o a tree

blzn04

Hello,
I just got into saddle hunting and looking to practice a lot with by bow trying the different shots and creating muscle memory, so I would like to practice daily. The problem is that I dont have any trees in my backyard as I am in a subdivision and even the trees around my area are so new that they are only 6"-8" diameter. Not to mention Id probably get the cops called.

What I really want is something like a 10ft section of telephone pole that I can bury 2ft in the ground and concrete, but I cannot find this in areas near me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can practice in my backyard without a tree?

I know telephone/ utility poles are rather slick and unsafe to climb. Im not looking to climb it. Im just looking to set my platform a foot off the ground and tether in to practice shooting.

Join a sportmen's club. Put a general location in your profile so local guys can give you better advice.

Around here the electrical company will install a pole with security light in your yard for free. it only cost $9/month to have the light which operates dusk to dawn and is separate from your meter.

It’s 15 per month here. Most EMC’s will give away old poles they are replacing. You have to be able to haul 30’ or bring a chainsaw and cut in half. I have hung from a 6x6 and the security light in my yard. An 8’ corner post front your local fencing retailer would work. Most pole yards make fence posts and piling for docks and they really aren’t that expensive.

You said you live in a subdivision, do you have an HOA?

If so, I would check the HOA rules before doing something like installing a 10' post in your yard. You don't want them making you tear it down after going through all that effort.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've never lived in a HOA sub, but its hard for me to imagine anyone noticing a 10' pole in someones backyard or it being against the rules. A rule like that would outlaw basketball too.

I acknowledge I may be naive.

Yes I do have an HOA and they are complete Nazi's. I keep my house/ yard up very nice(excluding October and November lol) and i will get notices if i have weeds growing 2 inches out of the crack in the concrete, if my grass is higher than 6", or any blade of grass creeping over the sidewalk for more than 2 days. Also they use binoculars to checkout the siding on the rear of my house from over 100 yards away and send me pics using a phoneskope of sorts if i have any dark spots/ mildew on the siding.

That being said Im kinda thinking of just going with an 8' section and burying it 2' so that it only sticks up 6' and they shouldnt be able to see it. I just wanted something a little higher

Yes I do have an HOA and they are complete Nazi's. I keep my house/ yard up very nice(excluding October and November lol) and i will get notices if i have weeds growing 2 inches out of the crack in the concrete, if my grass is higher than 6", or any blade of grass creeping over the sidewalk for more than 2 days. Also they use binoculars to checkout the siding on the rear of my house from over 100 yards away and send me pics using a phoneskope of sorts if i have any dark spots/ mildew on the siding.

That being said Im kinda thinking of just going with an 8' section and burying it 2' so that it only sticks up 6' and they shouldnt be able to see it. I just wanted something a little higher
Well in that case install the biggest gaudiest you can while still complying with the rules. Probably not going to help you be granted any variances in the future though. Hoa’s can be great. They usually either don’t enforce the rules or over enforce them.

my god, they would HATE me

What about just a 6x6 post? You could probably put a few notches in it where your tether would wrap around to help it hold? I'd go down four feet if you could to make it more stable. You can pick those 6x6 pressure treated posts up at Lowes or Home Depot

Do you have a porch roof or sturdy overhang? I have a suspension gym so my first tries were from the ceiling post eye bolt . I practiced turning and twisting then went to the porch roof over hang to shoot at my block. After that it was just one stick and a tree. When saddle is finished I should great at height as far as cautous confidence.

I cant do HOA. I rented in one and all they did was moan. They kept sending me letters about an oil stain on driveway that was there before i moved in. I would get notices of cars parked in front of my house that I never saw. Neighbors would have ppl park in front of our cul-de-sac for parties i guess. By the time i got pics/letters they were gone days earlier. Mean while, graffiti would pop up behind our house and they didnt do anything about it. Neighbor also had to bury a shed so that the roof was not seen but still had enough room inside. I would suggest cutting a 10ft section of round post and burying it in your yard of your new house that is not Nazied by an HOA. RUN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine called raising hell about his HOA sending him a letter about his boat (camo duck boat) being visible from the road. He was pissed!!!

I was feeling charitable so after belittling him for buying in an HOA neighborhood I sent him aerial photos of the neighbor (who also happens to be the HOA president) across the street’s house and the boat that is visible from road in her back yard. I sent him photos going back 9 years and the boat was in the same place in every single one.

Guess whose camo duck boat still sits in his driveway? That’s right. THW an HOA.

Back