• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice on choosing a mobile climbing method

I've always used preset locations with screw in steps. Looking to do some mobile hunts this year and looking for advice on which climbing method to use to start. I can research and learn the method once i decide which way to go. All the info on this site is overwhelming so maybe fellow bowhunters can narrow it down for me.

Situation: I like to get to 25-35' high. I'm 39 and nimble. I want to invest less than $100. I don't want to carry a lot of weight. I have some 4' chippewa sticks and could carry one in easily, and probably could buy an aider for it for one sticking or something. I have a new H2 saddle on order, and have a lot of experience with my old school trophyline. Thanks in advance!

Can you just continue to use screw-in steps? No need to do anything different if you feel comfortable using screw-ins and they’re legal where you’re planning to hunt.

I’m not familiar with the Chippewa sticks you’re referring to. There are a ton of threads about 1-sticking on here and on YouTube. If you feel like you can make a shorter 1-stick out of a Chippewa then go for it! Making aiders from tubular webbing is pretty cheap and easy. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE test all your gear and practice to make sure you can do this safely. Don’t know when your season starts but tit doesn’t seem like there’s much time left to get used to a new climbing system and saddle... don’t rush it.

If legal, I think the best for you would be the tree hopper drill and some bolts, since you’re already used to climbing like that. If you’re thinking about one sticking, I might be able to sell you a helium.

You can also try bolts and hand drill(or cordless drill) b/c it will be familiar to you since you are use to steps and you can get them for well under $100!!! But you can try one sticking but I am not familiar with the sticks you are referring to but they should work but you need to be comfortable using this method before carrying it to the woods for the first time so please be safe and don't rush things!!!

Single stick with a hanging aider. Or if you hate yourself buy a 5 step etrier and some tubing to girth hitch it to the tree and single stick with it. Pic attached.
c74d55264a93c0f66c0df547d8e8b07d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I just looked at those Chippewa sticks and if you have that rubber hook up it might work really well for one sticking but not sure it depends on if those rubber wheel looking things roll or are stationary!!!

I forgot to mention that public land in PA doesn't permit screw ins and that's where I want to try out mobile, plus even with a cordless drill it takes quite a while to set up a tree to 30' with them.

I just looked at those Chippewa sticks and if you have that rubber hook up it might work really well for one sticking but not sure it depends on if those rubber wheel looking things roll or are stationary!!!
They don't roll down too much. The chippewa has a "wedge lock" on the stick that shoves down on the cable between the rubber wheels and gets the stick really sturdy. Just not sure how easy it would happen with that one sticking method.

They don't roll down too much. The chippewa had a "wedge lock" on the stick that shoves down on the cable between the rubber wheels and gets the sticknreally sturdy. Just not sure how easy it would happen with that one sticking method.
If you had 2 cables you could hang 1, hang stick, climb, hang another, grab lower cable and climb. Seems like it would work

Back