• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice on making Tree strap & bridge

simple man

Hello everyone. I have never hunted from a saddle before. I am looking to give saddle a hunting a try. I am hoping i find it comfortable enough to stop using climbing stands all together. Granted i know their is not a tree stand out their that is going to feel like my lazy boy recliner. So i like many others i have bought a sit drag. I need some advice on making the tree strap and rope bridge. I would rather not buy 150.00 worth of rope for something i am not sure i will like. I already have a Line men,s rope that came with my safety harness. It has a carbiner on one end with a loop on the other. Also has a prusik knot for adjustment of length.
Option 1. I can purchase the 12ft tree strap from Aero hunter shipped to my door for 56.00. If i were to cut 4 ft off the end. Will this be enough for a rope bridge? From what i have read you use up a good bit of rope with the knots.I am thinking of starting of with a 28 inch bridge.
Option 2. Climbing rope VS static line rope. So before writing this post i ordered some climbing rope from Amazon. See the pic below.The rope is polyester 10.5 MM and rated at 20kn(4496 LBS). After doing some reading. Looks like climbing rope has more stretch to it than static line ? My intent was to by some 8mm accessory cord rated at 12.9 kn from REI to go with this.I was going to make both the tree strap and rope bridge out of these 2.Is this a viable option ? One of the biggest concerns with this climbing rope is i do not see an Known brand on it.Probably going to return this as soon as it comes in.

rope.PNG accessory cord.PNG

Definitely don't keep that rope. Dynamic rope is annoying for tethers.
You want static rope like Sterling HTP, or arborist rope like Yale Bandit or Samson Predator. Your life depends upon that rope. No generic brands, no Home Depot.

Order from RW Rope and get free shipping. You can buy HTP 11mm and 9mm and accessory cord by the foot and choose your colors.

I use 8mm or 9mm prusiks on my 11mm tether. I mostly use 9mm HTP on my Linesman's belt.
A 9mm tether will hold you just fine, but prusiks on 9mm can be annoying.
I am trying 7mm prusiks on 9mm HTP. Seems good.

Good textbook recommendation is to use 11mm for the tether, bridge and LB.

How much rope would i need for the Tree tether and Linesmans belt ? 10 ft for the tether and 4 ft for the Linesman belt ?

id do 6-7ft for linesman. Knots and girth hitch take up some rope. Better to be too long and cut, rather than too short and useless

Yeah if you don't go all out ordering spliced eyes, you should be able to order what you need for 20 bucks or less

more like 13' for each. Mine are 7' after knots. When you are climbing sticks, you will often need a good bit of slack on your LB.
You also want to be able to use the LB as a tether if needed. I tie mine the same.

I have a 7' and 7 1/2' yale bandit tethers and enough 9mm accessory cord to make two prusiks (unused) if you are interested.
The tethers are already tied.

I also have 10 1/2' of Bluewater 11mm Assault that would make a bombproof bridge OR a great Linesman's belt and you could convert one of the Bandit tethers to a bridge. Assault line makes a nice easy to use LB and Bandit makes nice soft knots.

Last edited:
more like 13' for each. Mine are 7' after knots. When you are climbing sticks, you will often need a good bit of slack on your LB.
You also want to be able to use the LB as a tether if needed. I tie mine the same.

I have a 7' and 7 1/2' yale bandit tethers and enough 9mm accessory cord to make two prusiks (unused) if you are interested.

I also have 10 1/2' of Bluewater 11mm Assault that would make a bombproof bridge OR a great Linesman's belt and you could convert one of the Bandit tethers to a bridge. Assault line makes a nice easy to use LB and Bandit makes nice soft knots.
man what kind of knot you tying, to take up 6' :grinning:
Yeah I was gonna say 10' for each (think that's what I did) but Ive got a lot of extra rope hanging out of my ropeman
youre right though 6' is definitely too short. 7' may be enough, but still prob pushing it

OP you should just make it easy and order some premade stuff from Justsomedude. He knows his stuff

Definitely don't keep that rope. Dynamic rope is annoying for tethers.
You want static rope like Sterling HTP, or arborist rope like Yale Bandit or Samson Predator. Your life depends upon that rope. No generic brands, no Home Depot.

Order from RW Rope and get free shipping. You can buy HTP 11mm and 9mm and accessory cord by the foot and choose your colors.

I use 8mm or 9mm prusiks on my 11mm tether. I mostly use 9mm HTP on my Linesman's belt.
A 9mm tether will hold you just fine, but prusiks on 9mm can be annoying.
I am trying 7mm prusiks on 9mm HTP. Seems good.

Good textbook recommendation is to use 11mm for the tether, bridge and LB.

Would 1/2 super static work well with 9mm for a Prusik? I am on R&W rope's web site now. All the 10mm and 10.5 sterling rope i have found are not available by the foot. I found 3/8,9MM.7/16,and 1/2 by the ft. I am looking under their climbing rope section.

1/2" is pretty fat.
7/16" is the same diameter as Samson Predator (which is nice rope...in between HTP and Bandit in stiffness).
3/8" is a nice thinner rope option. I use 9mm and 3/8" for my Rappel ropes.

Figure out the price for Predator from Wesspur. They were out of stock for a while.
If you had that for Bridge, Tether and LB you wouldn't go wrong. As said before, you could go smaller and lighter but with Prusiks if might be troublesome

What would you take for he 2 Tethers? I already have a linesman belt. It came with my safety harness i bought a few years ago. It came already set up with the prusik and caribiner so i was thinking i would use it for my linemans belt.

Cheapest set up I had was:
HSS tree rope for the tether - $20.00
60cm REI climbing sling for bridge - $4.95
Carabiner to connect bridge to bridge loop $9.95
So for ~ $35 you're set up. Although I prefer having a Ropeman 1 over a prusik.

20171028_083840_zpse6aqn5r2.jpg

Last edited:
Cheapest set up I had was:
HSS tree rope for the tether - $20.00
60cm REI climbing sling for bridge - $4.95
Carabiner to connect bridge to bridge loop $9.95
So for ~ $35 you're set up. Although I prefer having a Ropeman 1 over a prusik.

I almost bought One of those HSS tree ropes. I ended up buying 20 ft of 7/16 Sterling HTP static line in olive drab color.Also 20 ft of Sterling 7mm accessory cord in woodland camo and a Petzl William caribiner. All from R&W rope with free shipping and with a 10% off coupon code for a total of 38.92. Should be able to make the tree tether & Bridge and have plenty of rope left over.I already have a linemens belt.

Back