• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aero hunter evo

20ftup

Hey guys just got time to try out my new gear. I decided on spiking and rappelling since I already owned a set of spikes. All went extremely well switched out the lines belt for a thicker rope with two beanies to go around limbs work better for flicking up tree also. The only problem I'm running into is that my tree tether keeps wanting to pull me back to being in front of the girth hitch anchor, it's hard to move "freely" around the tree. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys just got time to try out my new gear. I decided on spiking and rappelling since I already owned a set of spikes. All went extremely well switched out the lines belt for a thicker rope with two beanies to go around limbs work better for flicking up tree also. The only problem I'm running into is that my tree tether keeps wanting to pull me back to being in front of the girth hitch anchor, it's hard to move "freely" around the tree. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ditch the linemens belt once you reach your desired height, and increase the length of your bridge... or the how high your tether is tied to the tree

I did removed the belt, maybe I'll try a smaller tree. Seem like you'd have to get a pretty small tree to double wrap your tree tether

I'm going to try a some smaller trees tomorrow. Something around the size of a telephone pole. Smaller trees seem tricker to spike though at least for me.

I did removed the belt, maybe I'll try a smaller tree. Seem like you'd have to get a pretty small tree to double wrap your tree tether

You don't have to double wrap your tether.

I don't really follow what you are describing. If you could post a pic that would help. You should not be limited to only telephone pole trees.

The tether will always "pull" you to where the line come through the eye to the bridge. It sounds like your bridge is to long and your tether too short. IMHO

Thanks for all the help I'm going to try to lengthen my tether. Looking into using my rappelling rope as my thether. I posted on the rappelling rope topic about some tying off ideas don't know wether to tie off with my mad rock or use an atc belay with auto block

Thanks for all the help I'm going to try to lengthen my tether. Looking into using my rappelling rope as my thether. I posted on the rappelling rope topic about some tying off ideas don't know wether to tie off with my mad rock or use an atc belay with auto block

I saw your other thread. Why don't you just use a prussik for hanging on?

Is seen a video on YouTube we're someone use an atc guide and a vt prussik. Thanks for the idea redsquirrel

I saw your other thread. Why don't you just use a prussik for hanging on?

So I am thinking of trying rappelling. I got a lifeguard. Do I use a prussic as a backup below my lifeguard and then where do I attach it -to my linemans loop? And hold the prussic loose until I want it engaged I just want to get it right.

So I am thinking of trying rappelling. I got a lifeguard. Do I use a prussic as a backup below my lifeguard and then where do I attach it -to my linemans loop? And hold the prussic loose until I want it engaged I just want to get it right.

We're talking about two separate things now. @20ftup was talking about hanging solely from the lifeguard or atc. Neither one of those are meant for that purpose, they have no autolocking feature.

You are intending to use your lifeguard for rapelling only. I do not use a backup for this (although I just got the lifeguard, I have been doing this with a grigri2.) I literally hook it up and rappel straight down so I don't feel the need for a backup. @justsomedude uses and recommends an autoblock for something like this. He can give more info to you on this.

I may have misread your post a little the first time. There was a thread talking about recommendations for tying off the grigri2 to hang from it solely. You may want to check out that thread for other suggestions. I think that option might work with the lifeguard, but I still think hanging on a prussik would be a better option that doing that with an atc.

Im thinking something like this

We're talking about two separate things now. @20ftup was talking about hanging solely from the lifeguard or atc. Neither one of those are meant for that purpose, they have no autolocking feature.

You are intending to use your lifeguard for rapelling only. I do not use a backup for this (although I just got the lifeguard, I have been doing this with a grigri2.) I literally hook it up and rappel straight down so I don't feel the need for a backup. @justsomedude uses and recommends an autoblock for something like this. He can give more info to you on this.

Thanks I have get 6 feet in a tree and figure it out this week. Safe practice height

Last edited:
Im thinking something like this

Ok so I guess the advantage of that is that you'd be ready to just go right down when you're done hunting or in an emergency? I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you want to hang and hunt with the atc there? It is very quick to put on and you could just do it at the end of the hunt and then you wouldn't have to worry about any metal on metal noise during your hunt.

I was going to wait it I was done hunting to put the atc on. I just posted the video to give the other user an idea on a simple way to back up your atc instead of an auto lock. I have a lifeguard but may try this it's cheaper and it's backed up I don't have a back up for my lifeguard since I only use it when rappelling. We will see to many options lol. Thanks for all the advice.

Not sure this will work for me my rappel rope is 3/8 ultra tech from Samson would that mean I would have to use a smaller diameter cord for my prusik hitch? Not sure if I feel comfortable hanging from something smaller

Back