• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Affordable Headlamp Ideas

Patriot

I’ve found some threads talking about headlamps like the Fenix. But I’m not about $75 headlamps.
HOWEVER, I’m not about my $15 headlamps anymore either bc they don’t last and they suck.

does anyone have recommendations for quality headlamps that don’t break the bank? I’m just looking for a basic lamp with maybe a few Settings.

red or green settings would be sweet but not a must.

doesn’t need to be a blood trail lamp either I have other lights for that.

thanks for your help.

I have a rechargeable Ozark Trail model from Walmart for the past two years and I love it. Got one for my dad and my uncle picked one up after he saw mine last year as well. I think they are like $25. Has a spotlight mode, a low flood light mode, and a red light mode.

I actually got another one this year to have as a backup.

I love this headlamp. It’s brighter and lasts longer than my black diamond. Bought one for the wife, uncle, and dad and everyone loves them.
Rechargeable Headlamp, 500 Lumens White Cree LED Head Lamp Flashlight with Redlight and Motion Sensor Switch, Perfect for Running, Hiking, Lightweight, Waterproof, Adjustable Headband, 5 Display Modes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D587F5...abc_J2V00DSRP9KPQHK0FZEK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve found some threads talking about headlamps like the Fenix. But I’m not about $75 headlamps.
HOWEVER, I’m not about my $15 headlamps anymore either bc they don’t last and they suck.

does anyone have recommendations for quality headlamps that don’t break the bank? I’m just looking for a basic lamp with maybe a few Settings.

red or green settings would be sweet but not a must.

doesn’t need to be a blood trail lamp either I have other lights for that.

thanks for your help.

@Patriot - I have had great luck with the HL30 model Fenix headlamp - currently listed for $45 on Amazon. It includes the features you want, and uses AA batteries, which is the same as my GPS and pocket light, game cameras, etc., so that allows me to just carry one size of spare batteries when I head out. And AA batteries last a lot longer than AAA batteries that many headlamps use. If I have to be out for an extended period after dark doing a recovery and field dressing and drag out, it's really nice to be able to switch in fresh batteries ... that's my main reason for not liking rechargeable headlamps ... when the charge runs out, your done until you recharge.

Link: Fenix HL30 Headlamp

@Patriot - I have had great luck with the HL30 model Fenix headlamp - currently listed for $45 on Amazon. It includes the features you want, and uses AA batteries, which is the same as my GPS and pocket light, game cameras, etc., so that allows me to just carry one size of spare batteries when I head out. And AA batteries last a lot longer than AAA batteries that many headlamps use. If I have to be out for an extended period after dark doing a recovery and field dressing and drag out, it's really nice to be able to switch in fresh batteries ... that's my main reason for not liking rechargeable headlamps ... when the charge runs out, your done until you recharge.

Link: Fenix HL30 Headlamp

Amazon reviews say it doesn’t hold in tilt position, how’s it working for you as far as tilt?

I bought a cheap cabelas brand one years ago. I use it religiously during hunting season and never had a problem with it.

Two years ago, I picked up a couple of cheap (really cheap… I think about $3 a piece) cap visor lights in the camping section at Walmart and kept them in the car. That way. I had one when I used a different hat and they are bright enough for getting ready in the morning and walking in or out in the dark. Since I like wearing a cap for funding, I prefer cap lights. I’ll always have a flash light in my pack in case I need a real light….

I have a Petzl Tikka that I bought somewhere around 2010 and it still works like the day i bought it. I dont think there is much better value than getting 10 plus years out of a $50 headlamp. Mine has only 4 functions: low, mid, and high beam as well as a red light. Literally all a guy would ever need to hunt.

Great light, get yourself one.

I have a rechargeable Ozark Trail model from Walmart for the past two years and I love it. Got one for my dad and my uncle picked one up after he saw mine last year as well. I think they are like $25. Has a spotlight mode, a low flood light mode, and a red light mode.

I actually got another one this year to have as a backup.

I’ve got this same one. Love it!

Check out Princeton Tec. Nice lights made here in the States.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas a lot of these are my speed, nice and cheap :)

I have a few Sofirn’s, crazy bright, affordable flashlight/headlamp. Obviously larger than most but can be taken off the band and used in hand.

Check out Princeton Tec. Nice lights made here in the States.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Had a Princeton Tec as my backup headlamp and the plastic housing cracked while gently changing the batteries. Probably a fluke, but didn't like it. I now use it in the house for when I need good light to thread a needle or something.

I primarily use Black Diamond headlamps now. Super bright when I need them to be, and can be dimmed. They also have a quality red LED light. I've used them in torrential downpours, and in the freezing cold and snow - always reliable. Depending on the lumens, you can find them for a decent price....even used at times. Obviously the higher the lumens, the more expensive they get. Very happy with them.

I use my nitecore nu32 quite often and it has held up very well and at 550 lumens is plenty bright. 40 bucks on Amazon I do carry a edc light so the headlamp is a backup. Olight s1baton2 is an AWESOME light can clip on a hat and 1000 lumens check it out

Back