• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider/etrier only

BenG

Anyone using just etrier/aiders without sticks and how is it working? I have a black diamond 5 step and I'd rather carry 5 of them than any steps. Are there other recommended aiders out there? I use the 5 step just to get trail cams higher up in the trees and have done well with it. Sometimes I have to reach down to open up a step but I can usually press my foot against the tree and twist so the opposite side swings away from the tree enough to get my foot in pretty easily. I'm also debating in my head one aider method vs multiple. I have been working with my hand climber too to climb but I struggle on bigger trees because my tether slips down to far when I put my weight on it so I only end up gaining like half a foot at a time and it's just too slow and will be too much work to do it that many times.

I need to start practicing this more but I am going one aider girth hitched to the tree this year and rapelling down. I have CMI 5 step aider and it works well. I have heard from another saddle Hunter that he likes the 5 step from Black diamond. I will dig up a thread about it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks Dwade, that's a good thread. I've experimented with the one aider. The black diamond works decent for me, so if there's something better it should be really good! The one aider starts to become a pain for me when I hit branches. Im gonna try using a girth hitch then a blakes with the aider tied into a loop on the end instead of using a biner. I was using a prusik but it was getting hard to move so I figured I'd try something else. I've also though another tether would be helpful for that method.

I think @justsomedude talks about a way to tie off so you can get above branches quicker. I need to start practicing more but I won't hunt much until October. Our season opens Sept. 24 but I have obligations.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've used 3 or 4 aiders with buckle straps to attach to the trees. The advantage to multiple as opposed to one is that you can set it and climb up and down for breaks or to retrieve dropped gear.

I carry an extra Daisy chain that I can quickly use as a temporary tether. If you carry an extra Aider, you just need to stand high enough to set your second one above the branch.

The only difficult thing I have found with using multiple aiders is on very slanted trees. It's hard to climb up the bottom side and you have to be careful not to swing around if you are climbing on the top side. When you put your weight on the bottom step, it will swing. The bottom step is always the most unstable for that reason. I just inch up my tether as I climb so there isn't any fear of falling.

Staying in ONE aider the whole way up is easier in some ways as you aren't having to step from one aider to the next. On difficult sections, you can just keep your feet in the same loops and move up less for each step. All you have to do is move the aider tether up a little and put weight on it as opposed to fussing with straps.

Rappelling down is less work than inching down with one aider.

I go up and down with only a 4 step metolis aider....IMO its the only way to go. I am sure that it is slower than some methods, but I don't think I need to be in too big of a hurry climbing trees. I wish I lived close to someone that actually rappelled and had the time to show me how to do it...that seems like that would be fun! :)

I go up and down with only a 4 step metolis aider....IMO its the only way to go. I am sure that it is slower than some methods, but I don't think I need to be in too big of a hurry climbing trees. I wish I lived close to someone that actually rappelled and had the time to show me how to do it...that seems like that would be fun! :)
I just bumped my old rappel threads. It's really easy to do short rappels. You just need an ATC and practice switching over to it.

This is good to hear. It doesn't seem like many are using this method. What kind of platform are you taking with you? The rappelling would be a nicer exit but I don't know if I'd want to bring the extra rope.

I don't climb high (Recurve shooter). But 30' of 9mm rope takes up a surprisingly small amount of space. Definitely less than Sticks! I like having the option of Rappel or inching back down. I have an Ameristep platform on buckle strap.

This is good to hear. It doesn't seem like many are using this method. What kind of platform are you taking with you? The rappelling would be a nicer exit but I don't know if I'd want to bring the extra rope.

I've used 3 or 4 aiders with buckle straps to attach to the trees. The advantage to multiple as opposed to one is that you can set it and climb up and down for breaks or to retrieve dropped gear.

I carry an extra Daisy chain that I can quickly use as a temporary tether. If you carry an extra Aider, you just need to stand high enough to set your second one above the branch.

The only difficult thing I have found with using multiple aiders is on very slanted trees. It's hard to climb up the bottom side and you have to be careful not to swing around if you are climbing on the top side. When you put your weight on the bottom step, it will swing. The bottom step is always the most unstable for that reason. I just inch up my tether as I climb so there isn't any fear of falling.

Staying in ONE aider the whole way up is easier in some ways as you aren't having to step from one aider to the next. On difficult sections, you can just keep your feet in the same loops and move up less for each step. All you have to do is move the aider tether up a little and put weight on it as opposed to fussing with straps.

Rappelling down is less work than inching down with one aider.

Thanks for the info some dude. I've learned a lot from your posts. So it seems like one aider is actually probably the safer and in some ways easier way to go? Do you like it better than using a hand climber seat for climbing and platform? Been trying both out and Im struggling to be as efficient with the climber top as the aider. Also what daisy chain are you using if you don't mind me asking? I see a lot of warnings on using them that it makes me a little apprehensive. I plan on getting one for a gear and bow hanger and if it can double as an emergency tether it'd be all the better.

The 'balancing act' of standing at the top of an aider while strapping the next one up seems to be more work than just staying on the one aider. Climbing with the HandClimber seat is easier. You can stop to rest and just stand up and relax and completely take the weight off of your harness

Daisy chains are not meant for fall arrest. That's why there are warnings. You can hang from them all you want. The Metolius PAS (Personal Anchor System) is much stronger than a Daisy Chain. I've been using one as a secondary attachment.

There is also a Yates heavy Duty Daisy chain that is long enough to girth around a tree and then clip in. I have one. It is bulky if you don't need it...if you rely on it, it is a handy piece of gear.

I keep a long daisy chain (usually the Yates) clipped to the top of my backpack and tucked into a pouch. When I get up to height I just wrap the daisy around the tree and clip it to itself. My calls, thermos, quiver etc are already attached to my backpack so nothing to unpack.

I don't use a platform, I made two web foot stirrups that are connected to the top of the web aider

I don't use a platform, I made two web foot stirrups that are connected to the top of the web aider
What Saddle are you using? I haven't tried doing a long sit using stirrups with a Saddle. I did it using the Onehair Treeseat and it was great for that.

Back