• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Air Rifle for squirrels

arrowchukker

I need to thin down the squirrels after deer season goes out in a few places I like to hunt and around my house. What’s a good air rifle to help me achieve this task? My budget will probably be 300.00 tops. Just looking for accurate and effective.

Anything that’ll shoot .177 or better will do the trick. I still have my Benjamin 397 .177 from the 90’s and it has dispatched uncountable amounts of squirrels among other things. If I had to get a new one I’d go with the Benjamin marauder, but it also depends on if your ok with refilling air tanks or brake barrel or pump. Not sure of the brands and what all they have nowadays I haven’t been in the market in 25 years lol if the ones from Wally World can kill squirrels I’m sure they all can. Can never go wrong with a Benjamin though.

I have a Weirauch HW30s break barrel in .177 that I have been shooting for years. It has accounted for well over 1000 pest birds and 24 or more squirrels. We are talking dime sized groups at 30 yards. The squirrels were mostly head shots only. If I were specifically going for squirrels, I would take the step up in power to the HW50. The 30S is, in my opinion, the perfect bird air rifle.

Attachments

• HW30s group.jpg
    HW30s group.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 1
I have a Weirauch HW30s break barrel in .177 that I have been shooting for years. It has accounted for well over 1000 pest birds and 24 or more squirrels. We are talking dime sized groups at 30 yards. The squirrels were mostly head shots only. If I were specifically going for squirrels, I would take the step up in power to the HW50. The 30S is, in my opinion, the perfect bird air rifle.
Agreed. My HW50 has accounted for a hundred squirrels or so here. Well worth the investment. And fun!

i bought a gamo .22 gen 2 and love it. same need but i'm in a neighborhood. has a 10 shot clip that is awesome.
Second this one. The clip is a great feature and it shoots great. I'd definitely make sure whatever you get is not a spring powered model. Spring fatigue is real and I've missed shots because it was cocked for too long and ended up not shooting true.

Back