• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Air Rifles?

Heydeerman

SH Member
I am in the market for one specifically for hunting small game. I’d like to here from folks who have first hand knowledge of the rifles they use and would recommend. I have no specifics in mind other than a dependable, usable, rifle for hunting small game. Thanks in advance.

You might want to call pyramid air. Good place to start for questions and getting started on the right foot.

.22 cal minimum. Either in a pcp or spring piston. If you a spring piston,id highly recommend one that has a antibeartrap mechanism unless you like cutting yourself.

Money does buy accuracy and precision in this game.

I was an idiot and bought an expensive rifle used. But it came with polished barrel, and load data worked up(yup, it’s a thing).

I’m not going to offer any advice on mid range guns.

What I can tell you is I had a cheap crack barrel .22 spring piston gun. I sent a lot of hobbled squirrels into neighbors’ bushes. I wouldn’t even consider bringing it in the field.

I bought an edgun lelya used, noted above. I put the stock scope from my hickory creek on it, and put three pellets in the same hole from 30 yards.

if there’s no wind, I’ll have them touching at 50 yards.

I take the gun during deer season and shoot dinner while I’m waiting for deer to show up. It’s pretty quiet.

I have a TX200 MKIII in .22 caliber. It is a spring piston underlever break barrel and is great for squirrels and birds. I have shot through crows at 70 yards with it. It is very accurate and quiet. I also have a Weirauch HW30s break barrel in .177 caliber. The Weirauch is great for birds and is very quiet and accurate too. For in town use I would recommend something like a HW30s or HW50s in .177 caliber. I can easily shoot shotgun hulls at 30 yards with boring regularity.

Pictured below is a 30 yard 3 shot group with the HW30s.

Attachments

• HW30s group.jpg
    HW30s group.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 19
A suppressed .22LR is mighty good for that purpose and around the same volume. Can be much cheaper or more expensive, depending on quality of each. Just something to consider.

HA! I love my suppressed 22. It’s super quiet and very accurate. Not sure it’s cheaper but it’s well worth it.

I have a Benjamin Marauder 22 cal. PCP, had it bout 6-8 yrs and shot a lot.
The bad, it's heavy, expensive to buy and set up. I use a scuba tank and like to run 3000 psig, bout 15-20 shots per charge to 1800 psi.
The good, It is very quite ( comes suppressed built in), very accurate with a lot of knock down power. The best part, it will not jump when shot, has a 10 rd clip bolt action which is good but will not handle the polymer tips which I like for racoons and yotes. I can hand load a polymer tip and shoot it. like above a 22 suppressed would work great, for sure a 22 short suppressed.

Back