• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Airtight suit

wpwoutdoors

I’ve been thinking

If one were to go to the extremes of the scent control spectrum would it be possible to create a completely airtight suit to not allow any scent out? Of course there would need to be a hole for the face and to breath but maybe scent control toothpaste could mitigate that scent.
I was thinking one of those pvc rain suits that are bright yellow. If camouflaged, one could in theory just duck tape the areas around boots and sleeves so that no air gets out. It would certainly be uncomfortable as it wouldn’t be breathable what so ever but It would work wouldn’t it? Maybe worth a shot to get that huge old buck you’re all after if wind and being scented was a huge area

Just a thought

Let me know yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is a post some where on here about someone doing that.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve been thinking

If one were to go to the extremes of the scent control spectrum would it be possible to create a completely airtight suit to not allow any scent out? Of course there would need to be a hole for the face and to breath but maybe scent control toothpaste could mitigate that scent.
I was thinking one of those pvc rain suits that are bright yellow. If camouflaged, one could in theory just duck tape the areas around boots and sleeves so that no air gets out. It would certainly be uncomfortable as it wouldn’t be breathable what so ever but It would work wouldn’t it? Maybe worth a shot to get that huge old buck you’re all after if wind and being scented was a huge area

Just a thought

Let me know yours!

Bill Winke did the closest thing about 8 years ago and Cabelas actually had a “Winke Suit” for a few seasons.

I work for a chemical company, so i have spent a lot of time in those types of suits. I've heard of guys using them while duck hunting to stop from getting wet. Dont know that i would want to use on for deer hunting though. They can be loud and very hot, they dont allow your body to breath. I wouldn't be caught dead in one during early season. Late season maybe but wouldn't want to do much walking in one, defiantly not with bibs and jacket on over it

Bill Winke did the closest thing about 8 years ago and Cabelas actually had a “Winke Suit” for a few seasons.

I remember him talking about this and saying that he could “get away with murder” meaning that he could sit anywhere in any wind and not be detected by scent. He also said, however, that it was very hot, sweaty and uncomfortable so he stopped doing it. As was said, no moisture can escape which is not pleasant.

I remember him talking about this and saying that he could “get away with murder” meaning that he could sit anywhere in any wind and not be detected by scent. He also said, however, that it was very hot, sweaty and uncomfortable so he stopped doing it. As was said, no moisture can escape which is not pleasant.

I imagine it would be like being in a plastic suit during wrestling season

There would need to be a valve on each leg bottom to drain the sweat. Lol. Then again, it wouldn’t take long for the mosquitoes to perforate it.

Absolutely scent free?? No chance.
But odor reduced ENOUGH to improve your odds?? Yes.
We can learn a lot from dogs.
K9 drug sniffers locate dope hidden INSIDE plastic placed INSIDE tires. K9 also locate cadavers UNDERNEATH deep water.
They are now using dogs to find cancer in patients.
A deer's sense of smell is as good or better than a dog's.
But just because a deer has those abilities doesn't mean odor reduction doesn't help. Residual odor and odor on the fringes of our scent cone is much reduced by odor control.
If you want a good read that will teach you a bunch...get John Jennenenny's (I know, I butchered his spelling) on blood trailing dogs. Even if you never use a dog for trailing, you will learn a lot about how powerful a dogs nose is and how they use it. You can compare that info to deer.
That book will also teach you a lot about wounds and blood trailing even without a dog.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Play the wind

Just playing the wind is no more dependable than just practicing odor reduction. They go hand in hand.
Cracks me up when I hear "just play the wind".
It must be nice to hunt somewhere that the wind is always stable and doesn't change as weather and sun exposure on a variety of slopes, effects thermals and how you can have several competing thermals that effect each other...and those competing thermals change thru out the day as the sun crosses the sky or as clouds come and go.

It must be nice to have enough property to be able to utilize countless stand locations so you don't over hunt any when a weather pattern stalls into an unusual prevailing wind for your area.

And it must be nice to have unlimited access points so you can change stands as fast as conditions change and do so without wrecking the hunt.

Play the wind?? Absolutely...as best as you can, but DEPEND ON THE WIND?? Never!

Last edited:
I watched an Infalt video the other day He plays the wind and is very successful. I also saw a video where he said he was tired and hand hunted every day that month. He also often hunts a stand once per season. The amount of time and number of pre scouted locations has way more to do with his success than stable wind conditions. We either have high winds or swirling 2-3 mph winds.

I think every deer is different in what level of scent they tolerate, along with where they will tolerate it.
I've a doe group in my lawn while my kids were playing. That same doe group is really jumpy if you try to hunt them 300 yards away.

A few years ago when I was bulldozing to make my pond I had a nice eight point that would browse 200 yards away almost daily around 4pm. But if you shut the dozer off and climbed out he would take off.

So I think there's more than just scent at play, location matters. I try my best to keep on my scent control, play the wind, and watch my entrance / exists. Why not use every advantage you can?

Every scent debate I've seen usually ends up in the john e. Vs Dan debate. Both very successful, both very knowledgeable hunters. Both also hunt different levels of pressured areas. I think instead of picking sides you're better off to learn what they are trying to teach, apply you're own knowledge of your area and get after it.

I don't care how successful John or Dan are. If they are only playing one or the other...either odor reduction or the wind, then they are not as successful as they COULD BE.
We all have deer that bust us that we have no idea we've even been busted...even those 2 successful and accomplished hunters.
There are 2 basic principles that come into play...
Number one is Physics...which would be the amount and strength of odor molecules we give off and the complicated physics of wind behavior that may or may not carry those molecules to a deer's nose. Physics is like math...it doesn't lie.
The number two aspect is how an individual deer will react on a given day to any type of stimulai...positive or negative. That's something we really never can predict and certainly can't control.

Ask Dan if he takes a shower in the morning before a hunt or brush his teeth. Or does he avoid leaving residual odor along access trails? If he says "yes" to either question, then he is not strictly relying on the wind.

John says he pays no attention to wind. The fact that we may be odor REDUCED but not odor FREE, makes me wonder how many deer bust him that he never realizes they have. Dogs have taught us that being completely odorless is not achievable, at least in practical hunting applications.

I've said it a thousand times, ignoring one or the other...odor or wind (no matter how many heads you have in the book)...just contributes to being less successful than you can actually be.

Ya I said “play the wind” not depend... personally I do better at scent control than playing the wind myself, but I doubt I will wear a trash bag into the stand.

I hunt to have fun. Wearing an airtight suit and trying to do strict scent control to me is not fun. You wanna know how many times I’ve washed my hunting clothes this year? One time. They sit in the back of my truck so I can throw them on and hunt after work. This year I have hunted 34 days, had 7 different mature bucks under 30 yards, missed one of them, killed another and have had more does and young bucks in killable range than I can count. I carry milkweed with me on every hunt and pick my tree based on what the wind is doing and what I think the thermals will do as it heats/cools. Does it change on me in ways I didn’t predict? Yep. But I’d say 85% of the time it’s consistent enough that I can put myself in position to get in range of the deer I’m after. I’m not bragging one bit, this is just part of the fun for me!

I expect there is some truth in most of the comments and lots of subjective opinions.

Play the wind
Have fun
Reduce scent
Hunt a stand once
Brush your teeth
Use milkweed
Get busted
Take a shower
Use scent lok
Or any combination of the above

Mostly have fun

But do not use an air tight suit unless you want to have an unpleasant hunt. Scent lok feels like an air tight suit in temperatures over 70 degrees.

Back