• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

All Call for First Lite Experts

SETXsportsman6

I know this has been covered numerous times, but I don't see many folks here from East Texas. I'm slowly building a first lite system. But being that the stuff is obviously pricey I'm looking to get some insight about how far I can get with what I have comfortably, and what would be the necessary pieces to add to get me through the rest of the season. It's not uncommon for Oct 1 to be in the mid 80s. Or we could have consistent 50s-60s with dips into the 40s or high 30s by the end of the month. (Uncommon but it happens.)

Bottom
Right now, I have the obsidian Merino pants, the corrugate guide pants, and wick underwear. I do have a different brand of Merino base layers that I will use instead of the kiln unless I decide to invest in the zip off pair.

Currently I have a wick t-shirt, wick hoodie, kiln quarter zip, and a klammath hoodie

My plan was to add a few more layers to the lineup before the temps really start to fall. I was thinking furnace top and bottom layer, and also some form of vest to wear as a outer layer on cooler mornings (something to cut the wind off my core) either sawtooth or Brooks down. I know this system only gets me so far, my question is what temperatures could you expect me to still be comfortable in the system I've listed above? And is there something that would be reccomended to go with rather than additional base layers (furnace) and the vest? I considered the catalyst system or going straight to the solitude and just wearing less underneath. Any insight is appreciated.

I do have cheaper clothing that can be worn as needed for additional layers. I'm just looking at what pieces to add that can keep me wearing quality stuff further into the season.

Last edited:
Catalyst for sure. Layering will take you down into 30s easily. I wear catalyst down into 30s here in Michigan.

I’d add a Puffy vest or jacket to layer under catalyst jacket based on your preference. Doesn’t have to be FL one but I like down for lack ability. I have their cirrus which is no longer made. I wish they made a brooks without the hood.

Sent from d_mobile

I think you are on the right track, I switch from corrugate to catalyst when Temps hit 40s, in a tree now in maryland with the wick hoodie, grid fleece hoodie as backup, corrugate pants and wick underwear.

Temps drop, I will switch to catalyst pants and jacket, layer with kiln underneath as needed, i love their beanies, the light one and the warm one. Also the fingerless gloves, too cold, shove your hands in pockets and just take them out to shoot. Vest is great early season for packability, but mine is used more for hiking in with that and kiln Henley so I don't overheat by the time I'm up a tree. Fortress bibs are great, uncompagre puffy vest and jacket with kiln base layer can beat anything PA winter has thrown my way.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I have the Catalyst pants but mostly use my Sitka Timberlines that are pretty much the same pants up into the 80s down into below freezing with a pair or merino long johns under them. With those Merino pants you'd be gtg for similar temps with a little insulation under them, maybe try the Corrugate pants over the Obsidians to see how that blocks any wind?

For tops a good puffy jacket is hard to beat, I have been using the Kuiu Kenai going on 5 seasons and it's a beast, I believe the FL Uncompagrawhateveritis is pretty much an equivalent and I've never heard anything bad about it. For super cold and windy I'll toss my rain shell over the puffy and hunker down and be nice and toasty.

So on days where the temp dips into the high 30s and stays there or just in the low 40s I am comfortable with the following:

Wick LS, kiln hood, sawtooth vest, Catalyst jacket, wick boot top bottom, kiln boot top bottom, and obsidian pants.

Granted thats with calm winds. If I want to stay comfy in higher winds or prolonged mind - low 30s I can add in the furnace and am normally fine.

That being said the solitude might be the most dialed in pieces I've ever owned. You can layer light and be good from highs 40s down into single digits with some good layers underneath.

So all that to say its up to you. If you rarely see sub 30 Temps, the Catalyst & furnace make a lot of since if you dont find it to be a hassle to wear so many layers. If you want minimal layers, that solitude is hard to beat. Personally I just like mixing it up. Their gear is so good its just fun to see all the possibilities you can come up with.

Also, the pockets on the solitude are a thing of beauty. I hate wearing bulking gloves and those pockets let me get away with FLs fingerless merino gloves in crazy low temps.

So, all of you have definitely gave out some good advice from what I can tell. However as we all know everyone does it a little differently. I talked with a rep at FL and explained to him the temperatures that I'm likely to see and roughly what he reccomended going forward was this

For windier days, wear the corrugates rather than the obsidians as they do better at cutting wind

Solitude set (if I'd prefer to minimize layers for colder weather)

Catalyst vest to use in tandem with what I already have

Furnace base layers

Essentially, what I gathered was with the solitude set I could hunt down into the 20s with the furnace base layers alone underneath (not likely but at least that gives me some reference as to the warmth of them.

Honestly, other than that he said with the addition of a insulating layer (catalyst vest) and a warmer base layer to sub in and out as needed I was pretty much covered with my system alone into the 30s and wouldn't have to get the solitude. But I think I'd probably prefer it honestly.

My question was "Top i would have on a wick tshirt, kiln quarter zip, and klammath hoodie with the catalyst vest over the top, and bottom i had the furnace bottoms with the corrugate guide pants, what could i expect to see out of that system alone?"

His response was "temperature wise, between 25 and 60"

What do y'all think about his reccomendations and thoughts? Btw we did make it clear that I would be hunting from a tree and not moving a bunch.

Also, the pockets on the solitude are a thing of beauty. I hate wearing bulking gloves and those pockets let me get away with FLs fingerless merino gloves in crazy low temps.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'm considering the solitude set. I hate gloves. So the kit link feature is a definite plus.

So, all of you have definitely gave out some good advice from what I can tell. However as we all know everyone does it a little differently. I talked with a rep at FL and explained to him the temperatures that I'm likely to see and roughly what he reccomended going forward was this

For windier days, wear the corrugates rather than the obsidians as they do better at cutting wind

Solitude set (if I'd prefer to minimize layers for colder weather)

Catalyst vest to use in tandem with what I already have

Furnace base layers

Essentially, what I gathered was with the solitude set I could hunt down into the 20s with the furnace base layers alone underneath (not likely but at least that gives me some reference as to the warmth of them.

Honestly, other than that he said with the addition of a insulating layer (catalyst vest) and a warmer base layer to sub in and out as needed I was pretty much covered with my system alone into the 30s and wouldn't have to get the solitude. But I think I'd probably prefer it honestly.

My question was "Top i would have on a wick tshirt, kiln quarter zip, and klammath hoodie with the catalyst vest over the top, and bottom i had the furnace bottoms with the corrugate guide pants, what could i expect to see out of that system alone?"

His response was "temperature wise, between 25 and 60"

What do y'all think about his reccomendations and thoughts? Btw we did make it clear that I would be hunting from a tree and not moving a bunch.
I think that's pretty dialed if no wind. If windy, you might need more.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

25-60 for active hunts. Sitting stationary at 25F you will need more insulation.

Idk if I like the solitude set here. IMO it is better suited to 20-50F. No way would I wear that over 50F unless you are just one of those people that run cold.

I think catalyst gives you more flexibility in your layering overall for your climate. Another consideration would be bulk of the solitude set. It being more heavily insulated it’s a bulkier set to pack in.

Not trying to talk you out of either, I just think catalyst is a more versatile set. BUT... if you think you need that extra warmth go solitude.

Sent from d_mobile

So on days where the temp dips into the high 30s and stays there or just in the low 40s I am comfortable with the following:

Wick LS, kiln hood, sawtooth vest, Catalyst jacket, wick boot top bottom, kiln boot top bottom, and obsidian pants.

Granted thats with calm winds. If I want to stay comfy in higher winds or prolonged mind - low 30s I can add in the furnace and am normally fine.

That being said the solitude might be the most dialed in pieces I've ever owned. You can layer light and be good from highs 40s down into single digits with some good layers underneath.

So all that to say its up to you. If you rarely see sub 30 Temps, the Catalyst & furnace make a lot of since if you dont find it to be a hassle to wear so many layers. If you want minimal layers, that solitude is hard to beat. Personally I just like mixing it up. Their gear is so good its just fun to see all the possibilities you can come up with.
I believe I'm going to start with the catalyst vest next. That along with what I have should get me into the 40s I believe. I'm not huge on wearing a whole bunch of layers but idk if it will bother me as badly with higher quality more form fitted clothing. I think I mainly just want it all lmao just gotta remember rome wasn't built in a day and I do have other stuff I can fall back on in the mean time.

25-60 for active hunts. Sitting stationary at 25F you will need more insulation.

Idk if I like the solitude set here. IMO it is better suited to 20-50F. No way would I wear that over 50F unless you are just one of those people that run cold.

I think catalyst gives you more flexibility in your layering overall for your climate. Another consideration would be bulk of the solitude set. It being more heavily insulated it’s a bulkier set to pack in.

Not trying to talk you out of either, I just think catalyst is a more versatile set. BUT... if you think you need that extra warmth go solitude.

Sent from d_mobile
I do tend to run a little cold in the stand. Not enough to make me a sissy, but I'm from Texas. Cold ain't my thing. Lol. I think I'm going to end up doing the solitude, even if it doesn't get taken out often. Those 30 degree days in mid November when the wind is blowing 25 mph and you have East Texas humidity to boot can get bitter.. But those are the best days of the year and you better be committed to hanging in there all day.

Back