• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

All Day sits in the saddle

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
How many of you guys have done an all day sit in the saddle?

What were your thoughts? How'd it go?

I have been hunting from a saddle for years, but have never done an all day sit in one... interested to see what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Man, it's tough on my body, and I'm in pretty good shape (workout very regularly doing cardio and weights). The location better be an awesome funnel between bedding and food for me to put that kind of effort in....

A few of the guys here local says its realy tuff with the saddle. Something to do with the legs and back bothering them. I use the guido's web and after an all dayer, I dont want to get down because its so comfortable.

I do around 7-10 all day sits a year. A big factor is how good of a setup I have. Some trees I can get much more comfortable than others. Last year I switched from the tree saddle to the aero hunter and I have to say that the aero hunter is much easier to get comfortable in and it made my all day sits much more enjoyable.

redsquirrel said:
I do around 7-10 all day sits a year. A big factor is how good of a setup I have. Some trees I can get much more comfortable than others. Last year I switched from the tree saddle to the aero hunter and I have to say that the aero hunter is much easier to get comfortable in and it made my all day sits much more enjoyable.

So red what kind of trees do you look for for all day sets I am assuming the tree has a slight lean to it?

ADKMtnTrapper said:
redsquirrel said:

So red what kind of trees do you look for for all day sets I am assuming the tree has a slight lean to it?

What I have found is that the larger trees are much more comfortable with a slight lean away from you, that way you can lean into the tree. For the smaller trees it doesn't seem to matter as much because I am straddling the tree rather than leaning into it, but i still always look for a slight lean.

I always look for a slight lean for every set up if possible. I always try to setup around some branches or in a crook to help me blend in and to have back cover. If I can't get all of those I try to get as many as possible and just make the optimal situation for what I have to work with.

Thank you, that is going to save me alot of the learning curve, ive only climbed one setup and learned the hard way how tough it can be climbing a tree with the slightest lean toward you can be! What is your experience with hunting with background as your breakup cover? I found a good tree that is straight without many branches but there is a tree only a few feet behind it with lots of crotches and branches(But that one is not as easy to climb due to to many small branches). My current thought is putting the climbing tree between me and the trail and use the brushy tree to help break up my cover, is this correct?

Sorry for hijacking your thread but there is alot of good info on here!

ADKMtnTrapper said:
Thank you, that is going to save me alot of the learning curve, ive only climbed one setup and learned the hard way how tough it can be climbing a tree with the slightest lean toward you can be! What is your experience with hunting with background as your breakup cover? I found a good tree that is straight without many branches but there is a tree only a few feet behind it with lots of crotches and branches(But that one is not as easy to climb due to to many small branches). My current thought is putting the climbing tree between me and the trail and use the brushy tree to help break up my cover, is this correct?

Sorry for hijacking your thread but there is alot of good info on here!

That should work. Depending on the size of the tree that you are in, you can really use it to hide behind rather than just breakup your outline. I can think of a doe I shot 2 years ago that I was in about a 30 inch diameter tree. She came broadside on the other side of the tree, and as she came out from behind the tree I slowly slid out and shot.

I do prefer to be in the crook of a tree or around branches in a tree though. I feel that it breaks up your outline better. The more times you setup, the more you will get a feel for what is a good setup or not.

Back