• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

All in, still haven’t hunted

NATHAN

SH Member
Fools and their money may have been a better title. So I got obsessed with saddle hunting, received a Mantis kit for Christmas. Now the excitement overcame me, and I ordered a predator, a second lineman’s, 2 SYS haulers and 2 additional Ropemans. Now, between what my mom spent and what I spent, we are over $800. Add in my LW sticks, and we’re over $1K. Here’s the kicker, I still haven’t hunted out of it yet!

Fools and their money may have been a better title. So I got obsessed with saddle hunting, received a Mantis kit for Christmas. Now the excitement overcame me, and I ordered a predator, a second lineman’s, 2 SYS haulers and 2 additional Ropemans. Now, between what my mom spent and what I spent, we are over $800. Add in my LW sticks, and we’re over $1K. Here’s the kicker, I still haven’t hunted out of it yet!
Hahaha I hear ya. I am in about the same boat but haven't figured out what I want to do for a platform yet.

Ha, that sounds like me. I’ve wanted to hunt from a saddle for years. Just got mine in and now I bought a ring of steps and a bunch of other stuff to try and have yet to go hunting yet. I made some DIY sticks, but wasn’t overly impressed. I tried a couple other climbing methods and am now waiting on my swaider and Kaiser to get here. Got about 3-4 more weeks here in Mississippi, so I’m sure I’ll get my opportunity...I’m sure the time, effort, and money will be worth it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in it, just a foot or two off the ground. You should get use to it before you hunt at height. Enjoy!

I've hunted out of But I haven't harvested from either the saddle or using my bow... Which this season was my first for both lol.... I have harvested using the old blind and rifle. But not as exciting.

I'm in the same boat, really getting tired of lugging my titan around and moving hang-on stands to a "better" location in-season, so I figure a saddle may help with both those issues. I went with WE instead of a predator and only 1 SYS hauler, but by the time the 2019 season comes in who knows how much more I'll have invested. The main reason I invested now, is to shoot with it throughout the off-season! I can see how the shooter has a solid base, but it's difficult to imagine or get the feel. The movements around the tree, shooting at different angles, climbing methods, and just being safe will be practiced prior to going live. Also, as I acquire more properties, I have to wonder in the long run if the saddle may save me a few dollars.

And the post-season sales on various hunting items aren’t helping! Welcome!!

Unfortunately it gets worse sir. I’m convinced All these banditos on here are part of some diabolical plan to bankrupt me with their “ this is better than ____”.

Kind of funny how basic and minimal saddle hunting looks on the surface in comparison to how much it drains your wallet. Especially if your one of those lunatics(me) that gets things specially machined because the items on the market dont quite cut it.

Thanks for the welcome gestures. Spent my first 6 hours in the saddle today. I felt it went pretty good, (I did not harvest a buck). I found the hip pinch easy enough to handle for the first few hours, then became really annoying. I had to use what I have, so I used four Lonewolf sticks and an Ameristep screw in on each side. Even though it was a much lighter load then hauling the Lonewolf stand, hauling the sticks still sucked a little. After about four hours, my lower back and hip joints started to hurt. I’m still waiting on micro adjusters for the mantis. I think they will help. I definitely liked the quietness of saddle hunting and I felt like it was superior for hiding behind the tree from the deer. I think that once I learn how to get comfortable, and get a predator, and switch to bolts and presets, I believe it will be true love.

Back