• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Almost down to just 1 climbing method (kinda sorta...)

Speedfreek48

Of course I finally tried the only method of climbing I hadn’t tinkered with this year, one sticking. Honestly always thought it looked to hard and kinda intimidating to hang off the side of the tree upon ascent. Especially for a guy that’s not a fan of heights (even though I pack extra paracord in conjunction with my Doyle’s gear hoist for times I climb over 30 feet & run outta line, not gonna let my fears keep me from getting up in cover & hid from deer). So since I’ve used my buck tag & haven’t been going as hard to get my one more to fill freezer, I’ve started building my personalized stick getting ready for next year! I’d been building a prototype 3/4” thick walled stick that feels sooo good in hand, but shifted gears when I found the Hawk HSP in stock & cheaper than OOAL Scout. Still not POSITIVE which way I’ll go, definitely need to get some “skateboard” tape & put on the HSP, but it feels pretty good. I’m not a platform guy at all because I like completely keeping the tree between me & deer, but think maybe a mini platform with ROS might suit me. But anyway these are the 2 sticks I’m down to; we’ll still be playing around with it during the off-season. FYI... if I end up going with the 3/4” stick I’ll definitely be transferring my cam cleat to it. That thing truly is “game changing” for the one stick method. Would also have to drill a couple of small holes in the Dan O double steps to keep them from rotating some on the post since they’re made for a 1” tube.,,,2D36EA1C-FD0A-4528-A442-465EBD5F81B7.jpeg

Of course I finally tried the only method of climbing I hadn’t tinkered with this year, one sticking. Honestly always thought it looked to hard and kinda intimidating to hang off the side of the tree upon ascent. Especially for a guy that’s not a fan of heights (even though I pack extra paracord in conjunction with my Doyle’s gear hoist for times I climb over 30 feet & run outta line, not gonna let my fears keep me from getting up in cover & hid from deer). So since I’ve used my buck tag & haven’t been going as hard to get my one more to fill freezer, I’ve started building my personalized stick getting ready for next year! I’d been building a prototype 3/4” thick walled stick that feels sooo good in hand, but shifted gears when I found the Hawk HSP in stock & cheaper than OOAL Scout. Still not POSITIVE which way I’ll go, definitely need to get some “skateboard” tape & put on the HSP, but it feels pretty good. I’m not a platform guy at all because I like completely keeping the tree between me & deer, but think maybe a mini platform with ROS might suit me. But anyway these are the 2 sticks I’m down to; we’ll still be playing around with it during the off-season. FYI... if I end up going with the 3/4” stick I’ll definitely be transferring my cam cleat to it. That thing truly is “game changing” for the one stick method. Would also have to drill a couple of small holes in the Dan O double steps to keep them from rotating some on the post since they’re made for a 1” tube.,,,View attachment 41563

Thanks to everyone that has shared info on here over the past few years. I usually just scroll through here stalking you guys & taking it all in!

I do like the fact that this platform is easily removed and you can pack it in with a very low profile in ur pack or attached to it!

Attachments

• C7FA54E1-D407-4AE8-9E99-6761A0DDAADC.jpeg
    C7FA54E1-D407-4AE8-9E99-6761A0DDAADC.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 95
I do like the fact that this platform is easily removed and you can pack it in with a very low profile in ur pack or attached to it!
Just out of curiosity, how stable is that platform when standing on it at hunting height? It looks like it would have a tendency to move a little with just the removable pins holding it onto the stick, instead of being bolted on the stick like a scout platform.

Just out of curiosity, how stable is that platform when standing on it at hunting height? It looks like it would have a tendency to move a little with just the removable pins holding it onto the stick, instead of being bolted on the stick like a scout platform.
It fits on there very tightly and doesn’t move any on the stick. The Helium’s have a unique shape with a raised piece in the middle and the platform has the same style groove in it. I was planning on putting bolts in it so it doesn’t move, but realized there’s no need. I’ve just been putting one of the pins in & it’s fine. So I may just keep using the pin because it packs flatter with it off. It does need traction tape on top because the metal is smooth. I was gonna get the scout, but this was $49.99 & was in stock...

It fits on there very tightly and doesn’t move any on the stick. The Helium’s have a unique shape with a raised piece in the middle and the platform has the same style groove in it. I was planning on putting bolts in it so it doesn’t move, but realized there’s no need. I’ve just been putting one of the pins in & it’s fine. So I may just keep using the pin because it packs flatter with it off. It does need traction tape on top because the metal is smooth. I was gonna get the scout, but this was $49.99 & was in stock...
Good deal, I’ve already got the scout and really like it but I hadn’t heard many reviews on the smaller hawk platform. Looks like a pretty good option for the budget guy.

Back