• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Almost...

Redhaven

I've been hunting public land the last three seasons, after exclusively hunting private ground for 20+ years. I'm getting better about getting on deer each year. I've killed a couple small 8pts over the last couple years with a bow, but wanted to try and harvest a solid buck this year. I snuck into a spot I'd been looking at on a map, a narrow pinch between two big ridges. I've been hunting from the ground this year, as I'm still trying to sell a couple things to buy my first saddle.

Anyway, I figured I was pretty close to a good bedding area and at 5:15, I had 140" 10pt sneak through the pinch at about 80yds. He worked out into a bean field and eventually winded me. I was so close. I moved about 50yds after he ran off, so if any other deer used the same path, I'd be able to take a shot. Sure enough shortly after 6pm, a 115"-120" 8pt came down the same trail. I thought I could sneak an arrow through a small opening at 25yds, but the arrow hit a twig and deflected just low. Actually cut a strip of hair off his brisket.

I almost made it happen, probably should have tried to find a better shooting lane, but it happened fast. Glad to finally get on a couple of nice bucks. Need to get a saddle quick, I think that would have helped. Oh well. Great seeing some bucks and fun experience. I'll be back again soon.

Back