• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternatives to Carrying 8-12 Steps

Aeds151

Besides cramping them with the cam strap into a dump pouch, is there a better way to bring them up the tree? I m thinking something that is rigid and opens silently like a bino harness but wider to fit steps next to each other and maybe in a drop leg pack configuration. I have not clue what all would be needed to diy that. For those that do not use the stock bullman bag, what is your go to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning to use a 5.11 bailout bag with ROS at bottom, this would be my early season bag.
I’ve tried a EWO utility bag thing which is 10x7.5x2 I believe , it only holds the steps , so I’d need another bag
The EWO step bags make sense but I’m tired of buying 1-2 things due to shipping

Ewo step bags? Are you talking about just another dump pouch they offer or something different? I have looked at these but not sure how many steps will fit

47f5d2d65fc47ce853aa0150b8899640.jpg

56641e43d05f72763d8796dd08e4c4cd.jpg

Last edited:
May be a silly question but if you are using a cam strap, why not at least try camming them to your upper thigh like where the leg straps on a saddle or harness would go? Rotate the steps to the outside of your thigh and stuff the tag end of the strap in your pocket. Prolly would want the steps wrapped in vet tape or stealth stripped but seems like it would work and would be handy for when you get to hunting height.

May be a silly question but if you are using a cam strap, why not at least try camming them to your upper thigh like where the leg straps on a saddle or harness would go? Rotate the steps to the outside of your thigh and stuff the tag end of the strap in your pocket. Prolly would want the steps wrapped in vet tape or stealth stripped but seems like it would work and would be handy for when you get to hunting height.

This is for my climbing method rather than a ros. So i would have 8-12 steps+ cam straps

Something like this might work pretty well. Switch from back to front for climbing so you have easy access but bag isnt swaying around.

This thing is padded on the inside. Cut away the hook side of the Velcro. 1 button snap opens the semi ridged lid. There is some elastic strips inside. Padding maybe 3/8 or 1/2 thick. Molle back so u can attach to a pack, make it into a pack by itself, attach to belt/saddle, make it a drop leg.

If u want more detailed pics just ask

Thank you!!!!!! Finally, someone who knows what I like in a saddle design. Leave it to the Brits and its been around for decades.
c8dcb0b3f15901b13fb1eb336e97a170.jpg

Dark to Dark hunt ^Automatic timber pimp winner

Last edited:
Glad I could help

Haha that was the next item after the shoulder bag. All jokes aside, I think you put me in the right direction with these Thank you. I ordered and plan to remove all velcro, replace lid closure with magnets, add maybe some g hooks to top and some strap loops for the g hooks on my rch for misc stuff in summit climber, belt on jx3 for steps, belt on ah flex w/bolts/platform. This way, nothing hangs down and flops while hiking. Its also to turn this into a chest rig

I think I'll get another 1 now they on sale...I got mine for 35$

I use it for storage and it attached to my vest in the center of my back between the shoulder blades....good piece of "gear"

Screenshot_20220803-173743~2.pngScreenshot_20220803-173738~2.png
The small side pouches are a good useful size also but they straight Velcro....I use those on my scout/set camera vest for storage.... Also...padding is a little thinner than I said before...I remember it thicker so sorry if that was a deciding factor... but it still nice padding

I think I'll get another 1 now they on sale...I got mine for 35$

I use it for storage and it attached to my vest in the center of my back between the shoulder blades....good piece of "gear"

View attachment 68630View attachment 68631
The small side pouches are a good useful size also but they straight Velcro....I use those on my scout/set camera vest for storage.... Also...padding is a little thinner than I said before...I remember it thicker so sorry if that was a deciding factor... but it still nice padding

Sweet, thanks for the pics. Always better to see “boots on the ground” pics of these type of products for dimensions and durability. What sold me is not having that dump pouch liner to fight with. The lid is probably not as rigid as i would wish (think bino harness lid that pops open and shut like a cup lid) but maybe i can inject some material onto it for rigidity. I ordered 1 for climbing steps and ros and 1 for rappel, gear hanger, call, first aid/after kill kit. I plan on removing side compartments.

There was a recent thread about using a bandolier to carry steps up the tree. Shouldn't be too tough to find. Might work out for your climbing style.

There was a recent thread about using a bandolier to carry steps up the tree. Shouldn't be too tough to find. Might work out for your climbing style.

Ya i just dont see that being practical. If i was gonna do that, I would try the quick access IFAK pouch

9e2189eca31b33d74029d47208f5b2ef.jpg

Back