• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Am I missing something?

Swampwalker

SH Member
I'm on a lease with around 5-6 guys. The fellow who runs the lease requires those who down a deer must transport the deer to a certain location on the lease. Now, this location is on the way out towards where we all park. His thoughts are when it's time to field dress the deer, we do it at this certain location. I believe his thoughts were the gut piles draw predators. This is probably true. I think it's a bit silly but he runs the lease so there you are. This is in lower Mi. Predators of concern would be coyotes. There are real negatives to this. Meaning every deer down requires a 4 wheeler transport to location. I don't know. Good guys. Love to ride their quads. Changing out sim cards and the like. Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing the "this is how we've always done it" factor. Most guys down here do it that way. They want to bring deer back to the skinning shed to be close to lights, water, tools, friends, beer, etc. Makes sense. Then you gotta haul the nasty stuff somewhere. So you designate a place where you don't mind stink because if you don't some jackaninny will dump it somewhere dumb. Makes sense. Everybodybdoes that. You may be 2-3 generations into doing it that way. It works.

Then somebody wants to change it. Hunters aren't exactly forward-thinking trends setters as a whole. They're traditionalists. Why is the new guy looking to change things? Can't be good, I'll tell ya that...

I'm on a lease with around 5-6 guys. The fellow who runs the lease requires those who down a deer must transport the deer to a certain location on the lease. Now, this location is on the way out towards where we all park. His thoughts are when it's time to field dress the deer, we do it at this certain location. I believe his thoughts were the gut piles draw predators. This is probably true. I think it's a bit silly but he runs the lease so there you are. This is in lower Mi. Predators of concern would be coyotes. There are real negatives to this. Meaning every deer down requires a 4 wheeler transport to location. I don't know. Good guys. Love to ride their quads. Changing out sim cards and the like. Am I missing something?
Eh unless you’re in bear or cougar or wolf country I’d say it seems like a guy with a little bit of “power” just making dumb rules.

I dunno. I have a friend in Southern Michigan that does the same thing. Seems like he'd try to hunt yotes or something but he won't. It's easy to drive a truck about anywhere on his property so it's no big deal but you gotta do it in his spot there too

Honestly the only place I field dress is public land. That is because I quarter where they drop and pack out on public. All the private land I hunt we use trucks and 4 wheelers with absolutely no adverse reactions. Deer don't mind trucks and 4 wheelers on trails and in fields. When we start venturing into the woods (their bedroom) is when we get I to trouble. We gut everything back at camp.

The public land around me with check stations do it that way....bring in so they can record data and provide hoists/gambrel and then there bottom 1/3rd of a plastic 55 gallon drum with handles u let all the yucky fall into and then take the guts to the designated gut pile

Yes. You are missing the "this is how we've always done it" factor. Most guys down here do it that way. They want to bring deer back to the skinning shed to be close to lights, water, tools, friends, beer, etc. Makes sense. Then you gotta haul the nasty stuff somewhere. So you designate a place where you don't mind stink because if you don't some jackaninny will dump it somewhere dumb. Makes sense. Everybodybdoes that. You may be 2-3 generations into doing it that way. It works.

Then somebody wants to change it. Hunters aren't exactly forward-thinking trends setters as a whole. They're traditionalists. Why is the new guy looking to change things? Can't be good, I'll tell ya that...
Just to be clear, I've never given a negative on this. Might have given him a crooked look years ago... I get it. Who doesn't like using a quad for carcass moving. I have mentioned going to all cell cams. At least the no glow cams. What do I know?

The public land around me with check stations do it that way....bring in so they can record data and provide hoists/gambrel and then there bottom 1/3rd of a plastic 55 gallon drum with handles u let all the yucky fall into and then take the guts to the designated gut pile
Now that's where I'd like to set up cameras. Huge gut pile. Can you say black panthers?

Probably just his personal preference. To each their own I guess, though it is a lil extra on you. Personally I leave the guts wherever it dies,unless on a neighbors. If a coyote comes in in the a.m. then maybe I get a crack at the yote. Deer have passed by my gut piles multiple times & even studied/smelled them over pretty good & been back the next day. Just sayin I dont think it does diddley to the deer.

If it's about coyote hunting,Id tell the wanna be coyote killer to pound sand. I might bag the offal and take it where he wants.

If it's the landowners wish to keep gut piles away from livestock or out of site, id humor that request.

One of the biggest gators I've ever seen was from a trail camera set on a gut pile on a wma close to me. The biologist was showing me the pics on his phone. The gut pile is maybe 200 yards from a big lake and that gator would lumber his giant lizard face up there and feast

Probably just his personal preference. To each their own I guess, though it is a lil extra on you. Personally I leave the guts wherever it dies,unless on a neighbors. If a coyote comes in in the a.m. then maybe I get a crack at the yote. Deer have passed by my gut piles multiple times & even studied/smelled them over pretty good & been back the next day. Just sayin I dont think it does diddley to the deer.
Yep, I shot a doe up near Central Lake. Gutted her there (edge of a food plot). Next day I was nearly in the same spot. Sat and watched another doe come in started nibbling on the gut pile from the day before. She rather enjoyed it while there.

I normally pack the goodies and leave the carcass but this summer on nuisance tags,( too many to leave lay) I dug a hole w/the track hoe and hauled the carcass to it w/four wheeler. Filled it back in at the end of permit season.

We gut them where they drop and coyotes don't bother the gut piles because the crows and opossums clean it up to quick. I have never seen a deer spooked by a gut pile either, they will walk right past them without notice in my experience. The coyotes will track a wounded deer and clean it up pretty quickly but I have never seen them bother a dead deer that they didn't kill. May be different in other places but this is just what I have seen.

Back