• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ameristep failed

Heydeerman

SH Member
22 feet in the air. Just got my ring set up with 5 Ameristeps on a ratchet strap. I climbed SRT and hooked my tether up and was still hooked into my climbing rope on the Madrock. I pulled out my bow and pack hanger to get it around the tree and changed my footing going around the ring and one of my steps failed. It sounded like a gun going off. It just sheared off with part of the bracket still behind the strap. I went no where, 100% safe. Didn’t scare me but sure surprised me. But I didn’t feel like hunting so I got down and went home. I have 4 Ameristeps left and they are going in the trash and will be replaced with aluminum steps.

Yes, all my steps are out of the recall dates but they are a plastic material and getting old. No I will not sell them. I don’t trust them so they die here.

Wow. Glad you’re safe. Good lesson to always be tethered….

Just goes to show you never know. That's why you don't take any chances with safety. Glad your alright though. I don't blame you for trashing them either.

Yes, all my steps are out of the recall dates but they are a plastic material and getting old. No I will not sell them. I don’t trust them so they die here.

Whoa - I would have gotten down too. Thanks for looking out for others and retiring the surviving steps. Any idea how old those steps are?

After this one broke I can see it’s made of plastic that appears similar to cast aluminum, not solid plastic. I trust them even less now. They definitely have a shelf life.

I have a set of Bullman steps for climbing and they appear to be a solid plastic. I think they are superior to the old They probably have a shelf life too but I would think it’s probably longer because of the superior material.

You know all these things we are using are man made and are subject to defects and decay. We need to be vigilant about checking our equipment and replacing when necessary.

Back