• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel aider step size and hose on steps

GetHomeSafe

For those of of you who have used amsteel aiders, what would you consider optimal vertical step spacing to prevent kickout, swaying, difficulty getting the foot in the next step, and having the toe slip out from being pushed into the tree. I read one user say 12" helped them prevent these negative events. Also if you have used an amsteel aider with hose on the step to hold it open, what did you think of the hose both for holding open the step and did the hose roll on the horizontal rope piece or was it a negative in anyway? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
For me, 14” or so would be optimal. I have some attached to my helium’s that are 18” with two steps on each. It can be tough with heavy clothes on and a bum knee. So, I ordered sone 1/8” amsteel to make some more. The aider steps have a rubber tube that rolls freely and has caused no problems. They actually help to roll up to the heel part of my boot sole. I don’t wear rubber boots.

For me, 14” or so would be optimal. I have some attached to my helium’s that are 18” with two steps on each. It can be tough with heavy clothes on and a bum knee. So, I ordered sone 1/8” amsteel to make some more. The aider steps have a rubber tube that rolls freely and has caused no problems. They actually help to roll up to the heel part of my boot sole. I don’t wear rubber boots.
Thank you so much for your help, your information and willingness to share is much appreciated.

Back