• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Aiders

J.P.

Jul 6, 2021
Finally placed my order of sticks and rope from DanO Tuesday of this week. They were on my porch this afternoon. What’s not to like about that.

I elected to go with 1/4” Amsteel for some rope mods, but also ordered enough 1/4” to make my own aiders. Question is, now looking at it, should I have gone with 1/8” or 3/16” for my aiders? May be interested in swapping 20ft of 1/4” if so.

Definitely glad I opted for the 1/4” for the rope mod but maybe thinking I went overboard for the aiders?

Went with Resc Tech For LB and Terher and 5.5mm BC for my hitches. Gonna be a fun year.
Jake

bodark

SH Member
Aug 16, 2020
Arkansas
Personally I don’t like super thin aiders. It feels like I’m standing on dental floss. For that reason I’m still a webbing guy even though I realize there a lighter/more packable options. From a weight perspective you’re not going to notice enough of a difference to amount to anything.

I say just stick with what you have and roll on. Welcome to the boards and good luck.

philsanchez76

SH Member
May 20, 2019
TN
Agree. I tried all amsteel aider and hurt the feet and definitely felt less steady climbing. Now I have 3 step webbing aider with a 4th step added of amsteel. It’s mostly for that first setting of the one stick. The amsteel allows me an extrA 2 feet on that first move.

J.P.

Jul 6, 2021
I guess I’m going to stick with the 1/4” amsteel at least for now. BUT I do plan to add some heater hose or tubing to add stability to my foot when I step into the aider.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
This is just my opinion and based off what's available to buy, I am in the minority.....
If I'm up in a tree precariously dangling off something, I want that thing to have a wide a step as possible. My sticks have 2" wide standing surface, my climbing stirrups are 2" wide, and my aider also 2". Honestly I wish I would have made my stirrups 3 inches wide or more. The hose will help but it still doesn't distribute the load of ur body across a wide surface area of ur foot...maybe hard sole boots help but I prefer soft bottom shoes. Wearing Crocs or other soft soles go stand on ur amsteel aider for 5 minutes.....gets uncomfortable quick. Now image climb up while hunting and a couple does come in and ur caught in ur aider and u gotta wait them out for a minute before u can either pull up ur bow or finished getting set up

JFin15

SH Member
Nov 1, 2019
Central AL
Now I'm using the footloop from my saka mini knee ascender with my bolt aider. Sometime before season ill make another one of the right length so I can unclip once at height and just leave the footloop on. The pic is just an example, not my actual bolt aider

I bought another footloop from Richard's site, climbing innovations, to use with late season boots so you can get these foot loops seperate. I really prefer these over anything else (if using some sort of CAYG aider) because they're comfortable and stay put without being too tight.

If I ever use my Kn/Sw again, I'll incorporate something like this for the foot and splice the rest w/ 1/8 amsteel

The mini biners Richard sells are rated at 4kn which is the most compact I've found with a decent enough rating I'm comfortable standing on.

I could continue using only amsteel no prob but it does make the foot sore if in one spot too long.
5a57c1e01ef0b864c33372e564d43106.jpg
6d0eb1c8863eb0ce34f9788609e9eef1.jpg
c193a06362dc33d428140c904920fe4c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Oct 30, 2019
Brunswick, Maine
The aiders on my Hawk minis are made of 1/8" Amsteel with fuel line hose on them. I can't see needing anything else considering my foot is on them for about 5 seconds at a time.