• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Daisy Chain on Predator Platform

arrowsender

New saddle guy here. Why would I not want to use an Amsteel Daisy Chain on my Predator Platform? I just watched a video on Tethrd's versa strap. With the "Toe over Method", wouldn't a Amsteel Daisy Chain work the same?

Tethrd's website state's the versa strap is made of the same material as the Amsteel. Their site also states the average break strength is 1500Lb and 7/64 Amsteel weight rating is 1600Lb.

I already have the Amsteel from the Daisy Chains I made for my Helium sticks (which I really like). So any of the senior saddle members have any reason the Amsteel wouldn't work with the platform?

Thanks for your input.

DIY Sportsman has used Amsteel DC also. It’s on his climbing stick mods video from last year I believe.

I’m currently using 7/64 Amsteel on my Predator and it’s working fine during testing. I’m going to try 1/8 as a comparison. For those using Amsteel what size are you using?

I’m using 1/4” amsteel. It’s probably more than needed but I feel safer using it. Love the daisychains for ease of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey looking tonget sime myself what size did you get they come in 1" 11/2 2" etc? did it work better than the versa strap
Never tried a versa strap so I can't make that comparison. I made my own daisy chains from 1/4 inch amsteel making the loops as small as I could but still large enough to fit over the post.

I’m currently using 7/64 Amsteel on my Predator and it’s working fine during testing. I’m going to try 1/8 as a comparison. For those using Amsteel what size are you using?

I’ve used 7/64 all season and have many dozens of sits on it. I love it. In retrospect I think one size up would have been a better choice for me.

hey looking tonget sime myself what size did you get they come in 1" 11/2 2" etc? did it work better than the versa strap
In all fairness, I should point out that the post you're referencing is from preseason 2019. Over the summer of 2020 I started trialing the use of a timber hitch to secure my Predator. I used all 2020 season and it worked way better than the daisy chain. Easier to set up and I was able to get it tighter to the tree.

In all fairness, I should point out that the post you're referencing is from preseason 2019. Over the summer of 2020 I started trialing the use of a timber hitch to secure my Predator. I used all 2020 season and it worked way better than the daisy chain. Easier to set up and I was able to get it tighter to the tree.

I used the timber hitch the last half of this season and agree, I was able to get the Predator much tighter. I still used a 7/64 daisy chain by wrapping it around the post then through one of the holes then back around the post. Maybe that’s not officially a timber hitch, but it was very effective.

I used the timber hitch the last half of this season and agree, I was able to get the Predator much tighter. I still used a 7/64 daisy chain by wrapping it around the post then through one of the holes then back around the post. Maybe that’s not officially a timber hitch, but it was very effective.

That's a trucker's hitch and is what I use. It has 3X leverage while the timber hitch is like a cam buckle and is 2X. A timber hitch you don't have the many spliced eyes. You have one on the very end that is on the post. Wrap the tag end around the tree and loop it around the post so that it is doubled onto it self. Pull, then wrap the tag back around the amsteel several times, pull again, cam over. The force pushing the cord against the tree locks it together by compressing those wraps.

Like this but imagine the rope going around the post first before the wraps.

A trucker's hitch might actually get too tight for a cammed over platform. You can play the guitar on that amsteel after you cam it over. That's why I don't push down real hard and would never toe cam it with the trucker's hitch.

Last edited:
I have 1/4 winch rope. Like Amsteel, black, hollow core. 6500#. I made a daisy chin and I really like it. I have a predator p and that webbing and heavy hard to tighten two handed buckle contraption it comes with I don't like. With a daisy for me it's all about the set, which it was anyway with original equip. If it is pushed down with ones body weight, before opening, I find the bat wing and the platform are pressed firmly into the tree and I don't have any issues with noise or side pressure. Seems true regardless of tree type. Timber hitch or daisy, personal preference I think. Got to find what works well for you...as nobody has volunteered to come and hang it for me yet.

I made an 1/8" daisy recently and tested it out to see how it holds. I like it and holds well moving around .looking forward to using it durning the season .Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.28.15 PM.jpg

Back