• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel or rope for rope mod?

Gypsy.567

Ok so I am new to saddle hunting and have already dropped more money than I thought I would. So I am asking people opinion on Amsteel or rope for rope mod on one sticking. Let me know your thoughts. I did buy a cam cleat that will accept up to 5/8 rope.

I use 1/4” Amsteel. If you go with Amsteel, be sure to make a proper loop with a Brummell and full bury. Lots of videos out there.

Might as well start playing with the amsteel. Don’t need a fid, you have one already. You will be blown away how easy it is to make your own! That said, I’ve seen a lot of smaller cords like used on hitches etc., used too. The cam cleat was the main thing!

Might as well start playing with the amsteel. Don’t need a fid, you have one already. You will be blown away how easy it is to make your own! That said, I’ve seen a lot of smaller cords like used on hitches etc., used too. The cam cleat was the main thing!
I am a big guy so I went with the Schaefer’s fast entry 500 pound cam clear. It was $34. Just have never messed with Amsteel. I have no idea where to get it or anything. I have heard of people using it to make the bridge but that is all I know really. So if you know where I can get some please let me know

I use amsteel on sticks that are multiple sticks (not one sticking) and strap on steps and the amsteel is not going into a cleat but around some sort of attachment button. This is due to reducing bulk.

I don't see the same advantage when using a cam cleat and one sticking.

I'd personally look into a thin static rope/cord that has a dyneema core (for the most strength for the same diameter) and a covering sheath. The covering sheath: 1. makes knots possible and so you don't have to splice, 2. protects the core, 3. gives the cleat a rougher surface to grab.

I use amsteel on sticks that are multiple sticks (not one sticking) and strap on steps and the amsteel is not going into a cleat but around some sort of attachment button. This is due to reducing bulk.

I'd personally look into a thin static rope/cord that has a dyneema core (for the most strength for the same diameter) and a covering sheath. The covering sheath: 1. makes knots possible and so you don't have to splice, 2. protects the core, 3. gives the cleat a rougher surface to grab.
Won’t argue with this. A lot of folks prefer not, but my wife has Amazon prime and I use it, a lot! I always comparison shop and usually buy online somewhere. BUT Most of my ropes and carabiners come from EWO .

What rope would you recommend for this. You said thin rope with dyneema core. Just want to make sure I get what will work since I am a heavy guy. I have been using the daisy chains Versa strap that came with my hawk stick.

Won’t argue with this. A lot of folks prefer not, but my wife has Amazon prime and I use it, a lot! I always comparison shop and usually buy online somewhere. BUT Most of my ropes and carabiners come from EWO .

hey, not sure if you were trying to respond to someone else, but i didn't mention amazon.....and i would NEVER buy ropes/carabienrs/etc from amazon, ebay, or anywhere that counterfeit/used but marked new items are sold.....REI, EWO, arbsession, wesspur, saddle companies, etc are all I use and would ever recommend

Last edited:
What rope would you recommend for this. You said thin rope with dyneema core. Just want to make sure I get what will work since I am a heavy guy. I have been using the daisy chains Versa strap that came with my hawk stick.

many options

here's one

i'd wait and learn more.....don't go off of one opinion from a guy (me) that doesn't one stick and has no interest in it

if anything, my post was to show some of the downsides to amsteel....having said that, I'd bet that amsteel would work well if you do the splice properly.....i'd consider putting some lock stitches in the bury (overdone is just about right for me)

wait 4 days or so and you'll have more opinions/suggestions here....it's gonna be slow on Easter weekend

if you wanna browse some, here's a link

you probably know, but amsteel is just a braided dyneema rope without a sheath

also, since you are newer, i'd point out that: sticks, steps, and platforms should not be treated as life support....everything should be able to fail (except your saddle and the ropes coming off your saddle) and you still be fine, if you are being safe as you should.....not that you said anything to the contrary.....but just wanted to put that out there....since you mentioned being a big guy.....for instance, i use 7/64" amsteel on my sticks but i would NEVER make my saddle bridge or tether or lineman's lanyard out of that

Last edited:
Ok so I am new to saddle hunting and have already dropped more money than I thought I would. So I am asking people opinion on Amsteel or rope for rope mod on one sticking. Let me know your thoughts. I did buy a cam cleat that will accept up to 5/8 rope.

I’m not a fan of amsteel for “every” application but I use it for my attachment method ( full bury) with cam cleat for on one stick. I do not like it for a bridge. Not sure where you’re located but west marine stocks it in 1/4” or just order from Eastern woods outdoors

I’m not a fan of amsteel for “every” application but I use it for my attachment method ( full bury) with cam cleat for on one stick. I do not like it for a bridge. Not sure where you’re located but west marine stocks it in 1/4” or just order from Eastern woods outdoors

Here is a perfect example of different strokes and the plethora of ways to get it done. My saddle(& a few others) come with an amsteel bridge. It rolls over my carabiner real nice when I turn side to side. It took a few to trust it, but aside for tether and rappel rope, I’ll use it every chance I get! I like the amsteel bridge. I made my secondary bridge myself =0)
My new saddle uses a rope bridge that is adjustable, so I’ll get to do this all over again when I get to hang from it.

I haven’t used rope for a stick, so I can’t comment about that. My 1stick from Eastern Woods Outdoors came with amsteel and a cam cleat and I like it a lot. Light weight, not bulky and doesn’t absorb water. There really isn’t much for saddle hunting that you can’t pickup at EWO (doublesteps.com) I had an issue with one product from DanO and he MORE THAN MADE ME HAPPY in the end. He’s a great dude and he is also a member here so he is my go to source 1st. I have also checked his prices against Amazon for minor things like pouches and he is right there in price. As mentioned above, don’t buy anything that supports your life or safety from Amazon. Remember, DanO is the manO

So I got the cam cleat installed today. Had a short piece of static rope. Girth hitched it around the stick took it outside to try it. It grabbed good. I used the Schaefer’s 500 pound cam cleat.

I’m by no means an expert on amsteel. But, 1/4” double bury seem like overkill, even 3/16” double bury is pretty bulky.

Back