• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel & tether material?

yakcraz

Where are y'all ordering it from. I only need a short piece of Amsteel for a bridge & like 16 feet or so of line for a DIY lanyard & tether. But, tack on the $18 & change for shipping they want from Wesspur + the cost & I might as well of baught a premanufacted one.

For a tether this is hard to beat....

Hunter Safety System Rope-Style Tree Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L9GAS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UmPpCb95VQ5GJ

You will hear that it fuzzes bad and the sheath isn’t strong and ropemans are rough on it and on and on, but it’s fine. In fact, the very aspect of it that raises all the aforementioned ire is one of it’s greatest assets in that the softer sheath allows it to grip the tree better so it’s less likely to slip on you when tension is relieved.

Plus it’s $20. Price static line and a ropeman.....

I have both and prefer the HSS tree strap. I have an idea on how to solve the slippage issue on the static line, but I’ll let OSHA calm back down before I’ll let that cat outta the bag.

Amsteel is just for a bridge.
I bought a 1/4 inch Amsteel and put it on my saddle as the bridge. Looking at the very narrow center section between the two burys, are we all sure that will hold our full weight when we are up in a tree?

I bought a 1/4 inch Amsteel and put it on my saddle as the bridge. Looking at the very narrow center section between the two burys, are we all sure that will hold our full weight when we are up in a tree?
We know that the average break strength is high enough. We also know that we are using it for something outside it’s design. I would like to do a drop test with mine and see what it breaks at after a year of use but I’m not really interested in using myself as a test dummy.

It will hold. Just make sure you always keep your tether sinched up tight with some pressure on it. A fall with an instant catch is a lot different than a fall with some slack & then the catch.

http://www.apsltd.com/ has 1/4'' amsteel for $1.29 /ft and free shipping over $50. I ordered my amsteel from these guys when they had it on sale a few weeks ago. They ship fast.

I ordered my lineman rope and tether from www.rwrope.com. Two 10', 6k lb double braid poly, with a splice on each for $56 ish i think. Shipping was pretty cheap too and the customer service from Ray was top shelf. If you get anything from them, tell them you heard about them from the Saddle Hunter forum.

I'll likely be ordering again from both companies.

http://www.apsltd.com/ has 1/4'' amsteel for $1.29 /ft and free shipping over $50. I ordered my amsteel from these guys when they had it on sale a few weeks ago. They ship fast.

I ordered my lineman rope and tether from www.rwrope.com. Two 10', 6k lb double braid poly, with a splice on each for $56 ish i think. Shipping was pretty cheap too and the customer service from Ray was top shelf. If you get anything from them, tell them you heard about them from the Saddle Hunter forum.

I'll likely be ordering again from both companies.
I planned on picking up a new lineman and tether rope this summer, guessing in the comment section when you checkout you just mention you’d like the ends spliced and they’ll do it? I didn’t see any other option, never ordered that way so I’m clueless lol

Did you lock stitch one side and lock Brummel the other? That's how I did mine and have had no issues holding my 200+ pounds.

I planned on picking up a new lineman and tether rope this summer, guessing in the comment section when you checkout you just mention you’d like the ends spliced and they’ll do it? I didn’t see any other option, never ordered that way so I’m clueless lol

Call and ask to speak with Ray Ramos. Tell him you want the 1/2” treestand rope. He’ll splice them for you as well. I got a 2” splice in my lineman rope and a 5” in my tether. Both ropes are identical except for the splice size. I highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you lock stitch one side and lock Brummel the other? That's how I did mine and have had no issues holding my 200+ pounds.
I did a locked brummel on both ends, then attached to my bridge on the right side by passing the end through the loop and locking it down to the bridge. The free end is just held via carabiner. I figure once I get to using the saddle, I'll do some adjusting and eventually will do a lock stich on what is now the free end.

Back