• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel verse other winch line

matt6506

Last edited:
For that price I'll be a guinea pig. I just ordered some. I'll let you guys know how it looks when compared to Amsteel brand.

I got some on order also, just wanting some opinions from others that know more than me. I have never actually seen amsteel so I'm unsure.

It looks identical. Like I said, for the price it's worth taking a look at. If I don't like it I'll just use it to replace the steel cable on my Polaris Ranger winch. For me it's a win/win.

It looks identical. Like I said, for the price it's worth taking a look at. If I don't like it I'll just use it to replace the steel cable on my Polaris Ranger winch. For me it's a win/win.
I'm also interested in this winch material. I've never handled any amsteel, so wouldn't know the difference. I'm anxious to know what the experts on this site have to offer.

I got mine and spliced up enough for 5 climbing sticks and bridge. I tried it out today and no issues so far. I think it's comparable to amsteel but less than half the price.

I got mine and spliced up enough for 5 climbing sticks and bridge. I tried it out today and no issues so far. I think it's comparable to amsteel but less than half the price.
Thanks for being the guinea pig!
Does it look and feel like amsteel?

Mine will be here tomorrow. I’ll compare it to the same size Amsteel I have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the difference between amsteel and other dyneema winch lines? I see that I can get 50ft of 1/4" dyneema winch line for $23.00 rated at 7000# so I wonder if it would be comparable to the same size amsteel? I'm planning on using it for a bridge and a rope mod for my heliums.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/50X1-4-Dynee...558528?hash=item3f7593c680:g:5CIAAOSwtfhYoXc6
Whats the difference between amsteel and other dyneema winch lines? I see that I can get 50ft of 1/4" dyneema winch line for $23.00 rated at 7000# so I wonder if it would be comparable to the same size amsteel? I'm planning on using it for a bridge and a rope mod for my heliums.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/50X1-4-Dynee...558528?hash=item3f7593c680:g:5CIAAOSwtfhYoXc6

What I have read elsewhere says that amsteel and dyneema are the same thing. There are variations in Dyneema...as stated below.. if the rope rating is good you will have no worries.

Dyneema and Spectra are both brand names for UHMWPE. The UHMWPE is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. The individual fibres are very thin but incredibly long and straight and this provides UHMWPE with its strength. Lots of different ropemakers(eg. Samson) buy the fibres from DSM who license dyneema, and then spin them into lovely braid which we know as Amsteel Blue. Amsteel blue is made from a specific type of fibre called SK75. There are other grades of dyneema too, such as sk78 as used in Samsons AS78 hollow braid.

Last edited:
What I have read elsewhere says that amsteel and dyneema are the same thing. There are variations in Dyneema...as stated below.. if the rope rating is good you will have no worries.

Dyneema and Spectra are both brand names for UHMWPE. The UHMWPE is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. The individual fibres are very thin but incredibly long and straight and this provides UHMWPE with its strength. Lots of different ropemakers(eg. Samson) buy the fibres from DSM who license dyneema, and then spin them into lovely braid which we know as Amsteel Blue. Amsteel blue is made from a specific type of fibre called SK75. There are other grades of dyneema too, such as sk78 as used in Samsons AS78 hollow braid.

️ Science!!!!

Wow, that post made my head hurt. Thanks for the info.

IMG_20180318_202042022_crop_200x200.jpg
Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_202042022_crop_200x200.jpg
    IMG_20180318_202042022_crop_200x200.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 44
When it first came out there was Amsteel, and Amsteel BLUE. Blue is stronger. That's what you want. You must check the specs to know which one you're buying since they look identical.

So I got my EBay Amsteel and here’s my honest opinion.

I don’t like it. Not for our uses anyway. I have no doubt it’s probably as strong as the Amsteel Blue I’m used to, but is has some issues. I’m also not sure if this is something like a 1st generation Amsteel or if it’s just a plain knock off of Amsteel.

It’s very stiff and it doesn’t splice as neatly. It has a kind of plasticy feel to it. The braid is also visibly different. Each cluster is larger and makes for an odd feel. I’m sure it’s Dyneema but there’s something else going on with it too. The whole thing also has a bright sheen that I’m not real crazy about.

I made a small bridge out of it and hung from it. Since it is stiffer, it almost has a memory which is not good. It doesn’t slide through the biner nearly as nice as regular Amsteel Blue.

That being said it is about half the price of Amsteel Blue, but it’s just not for me. No loss though. I’ll just put in on the UTV winch.

Just my two cents.

9a41481c56f27bd8027bb4ce9fe71ae4.jpg

When it first came out there was Amsteel, and Amsteel BLUE. Blue is stronger. That's what you want. You must check the specs to know which one you're buying since they look identical.
I noticed the specs for dyneema rope vary from 5000 pounds to 7700 pounds for 1/4 inch. They must be the different types of dyneema.

So I got my EBay Amsteel and here’s my honest opinion.

I don’t like it. Not for our uses anyway. I have no doubt it’s probably as strong as the Amsteel Blue I’m used to, but is has some issues. I’m also not sure if this is something like a 1st generation Amsteel or if it’s just a plain knock off of Amsteel.

It’s very stiff and it doesn’t splice as neatly. It has a kind of plasticy feel to it. The braid is also visibly different. Each cluster is larger and makes for an odd feel. I’m sure it’s Dyneema but there’s something else going on with it too. The whole thing also has a bright sheen that I’m not real crazy about.

I made a small bridge out of it and hung from it. Since it is stiffer, it almost has a memory which is not good. It doesn’t slide through the biner nearly as nice as regular Amsteel Blue.

That being said it is about half the price of Amsteel Blue, but it’s just not for me. No loss though. I’ll just put in on the UTV winch.

Just my two cents.

9a41481c56f27bd8027bb4ce9fe71ae4.jpg

I see quite the difference in comparison from the pics. I'll probably go ahead and get some of the amsteel blue so I won't have to worry. Anyone know whose got the best price on amsteel blue?

Back