• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel

kenn1320

Anybody think about Amsteel for their tether? Strong, abrasion resistant, compactness, light.
3/8" or 7/16"?
Knots or splicing?

5/16" is what I believe Dave and some others use on sticks and jim stepps.

kenn1320 said:
Anybody think about Amsteel for their tether? Strong, abrasion resistant, compactness, light.
3/8" or 7/16"?
Knots or splicing?

5/16" is what I believe Dave and some others use on sticks and jim stepps.

I use 1/4 inch for sticks. I like the 7/16 bluewater rope for my tether as i like a bit stiffer rope to walk my loop around the tree of needed.

How would you attach to it? I think its too slick for a ropeman, and remember it is not recommended to tie knots in it.

I dont know Red, just throwing it out there. Im guessing you could splice loops in each end?

Here are the applications, one is life line. With all these uses, they are connecting it to other things somehow.

Camera Control Line
Chipper Winch Line
Control Line
Davit
Face and Wing Wire
First Ashore / Emergency Tow System
General Working Line / Vessel Mooring
Gilson Wire Rope Replacement
Halyard
Lifeline
Lifting Sling / Mining
Lifting Sling / Offshore
Lifting Sling / Utility
Other Fishing Line
Primary Mooring Line / Non-jacketed
Pulling / Stringing Line
Reef Line
Running Back
Shield Hauler
Stage, Event, and Special Effects Rigging
Synthetic Extension Pendant
Trapeze Line
Trawl or Bridle Line
Tug Mainline
Tug Messenger Line
Tug Pendant
Vehicle Winch Line
Winch Line / Mining
Winch Line / Offshore
Winch Line / Safety
Winch Line / Tug
Winch Line / Utility
Working Line / Mining
Working Line / Offshore

Actually Kenn, you just inspired an idea. I think you could turn a whoopie sling into a tether. It would be adjustable, although not as easily adjustable as our other options.

redsquirrel said:
Actually Kenn, you just inspired an idea. I think you could turn a whoopie sling into a tether. It would be adjustable, although not as easily adjustable as our other options.

Great, you go first. :cool: While it would be adjustable, it would require taking your weight off it.

kenn1320 said:
redsquirrel said:

Great, you go first. :cool: While it would be adjustable, it would require taking your weight off it.

I have one at home I'll look at to see if its practical. Yes, adjustable, but not as easy. But it could be worth it. So we'll see.

So whats the plan, splice an eye in the tree end with a carabiner in it, wrap around tree and back through carabiner down to slip/synch female with male having spliced eye with carabiner?

My only concern would be the extra slip. Amsteel is slicker than other options. Tether may drop when you take your weight off it too.

Give it a go and report back.

I use a lot of 7/64 Amsteel with my Hammocks and it's really strong. Using the larger diameter and enusuring enough bury on the adjustable end, you would have zero problems with slippage. BassBoys is right though, it's so lightweight and slickish, it could slide down the tree without weight. It does stretch a bit and you won't be able to adjust your height without taking all your weight off. It will also take two hands to adjust your height.

Overall I think a whoopie sling would make a good tether. It would be crazy light and very simple to use. I'm not sure if it will be as user friendly as a ropeman 1, but I don't think it would be any more difficult than a prussic setup.

kenn1320 said:
So whats the plan, splice an eye in the tree end with a carabiner in it, wrap around tree and back through carabiner down to slip/synch female with male having spliced eye with carabiner?
Just did some testing in the garage. I think we may really be on to something here. A few options for rigging it up.
BassBoysLLP said:
My only concern would be the extra slip. Amsteel is slicker than other options. Tether may drop when you take your weight off it too.

Give it a go and report back.
Set it up on one of the poles in my garage and I was surprised how well it gripped and didn't slide down it at all. Must be cause of how light it is. What are your thoughts on girth hitching the sling as in the third pic below. I think it would be fine. If it is safe, that is the best option.
85f2cc452f01925b8355b9577cabea0b.jpg

780579361cea3f396a5bfd4aba851f4a.jpg

a45fae8bc698af7951782f4507ae5c42.jpg

Looks fine to me. General rule of thumb for girth hitched ropes or slings is 75-80% of initial strength. I like that better than potentially cross loaded biners

My gut instinct is go with bassboy. :lol: I don't have any training in climbing, but since amsteel is so strong, and abrasion resistant, I don't think number 3 would be an issue.

Thoughts on Daves comment about liking a stiff tether for moving it around the tree? I only have experience with the same rope as Dave(assault line).

Very interested in this.....and where do you find that Amsteel in green or grey....I needs to know! :D

g2outdoors said:
I use a lot of 7/64 Amsteel with my Hammocks and it's really strong. Using the larger diameter and enusuring enough bury on the adjustable end, you would have zero problems with slippage. BassBoys is right though, it's so lightweight and slickish, it could slide down the tree without weight. It does stretch a bit and you won't be able to adjust your height without taking all your weight off. It will also take two hands to adjust your height.

Overall I think a whoopie sling would make a good tether. It would be crazy light and very simple to use. I'm not sure if it will be as user friendly as a ropeman 1, but I don't think it would be any more difficult than a prussic setup.

You can use a sling and "the Duck" I have tested it and it holds just fine. I had no problem with fraying on my blue water sling/runner - but you would want to keep a close eye on it - as we should on all equipment. You guys hanging off the T screws - YOU ARE CRAZY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveT1963 said:
g2outdoors said:

You can use a sling and "the Duck" I have tested it and it holds just fine. I had no problem with fraying on my blue water sling/runner - but you would want to keep a close eye on it - as we should on all equipment. You guys hanging off the T screws - YOU ARE CRAZY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I agree here. Not for me!

Back