• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An Absolute Nightmare

LarkHarrison243

This is a walk-through of my first time climbing, setting up, shooting, and climbing down in my fleece saddle.

While this is not the first time I have climbed and descended this is the first time I put everything together in one sit.

My Equipment:
I am using a DIY fleece saddle with a fixed AmSteel Bridge, this is backed up with a rock climbing harness. I am using the HSS tether and the included biners. I added an additional prussik unto the tether to attach my fleece saddle. My climbing method is one-sticking with a steel climbing stick that I cut down to 2 steps. Attached to that is a 2 step aider made form tubular webbing.

The Climb:
The climb was fairly uneventful as I had practiced this before it went fairly well, one thing I would try to improve on is to better plan my ascent. This was a multi-trunk tree and I kind of just started climbing without trying to think through where I was going to climb, or even where I wanted to end up.

The Shooting:
This was probably the most humbling part. As someone who regularly hits paper plates at eighty-yards, my group at 17 yards was horrible. I think it will improve I just need to get used to how to better brace myself against the tree and platform to become more stable.

The Descent:
This is where things start to go downhill fast. Most of it could have been prevented by better planning. I failed to bring a knife with me up the tree, I failed to plan my descent, and I failed to notice a magor flaw in my equipment. All was going well until until I came to the point where the multiple trunks came together. I had to disconnect my climbing stick and move it below the branch. So I re-positioned it and then swung the daisy chain around the tree. (An important note, I tied a piece of shock-cord to the end of the chain in order to secure it to the stick, this is tied on.) So the knot from the shock-cord caught in the crook of a branch. If I had my knife I could have simply cut the shock-cord and continued to move down the tree. Instead I had a pair of pruning shears (which apparently due not work well on shock-cord). After freeing my daisy-chain I was frustrated and continued to have difficulty descending. It probably took about 35 minutes for me to get down about 15 feet.

Things I learned:
I definitely need get more organized in my descent, I definitely see why a lot of people prefer to repel, unfortunately I cant see myself spending the funds on something that is not so necessary.

I need to practice shooting from the saddle.

I need to use a different platform, using the bottom step of my stick was not working for me. I am going to try and assemble one out of wood in order to keep the cost low. If anyone has any recommendation when it comes to a diy wooden platform i am all ears.

Overall, this has definitely showed me that this endeavor is going to be harder than expected, but is has motivated me to practice more regularly to be proficient before the arrival of the season. I think the biggest thing I need to work on is planning better, A lot of my difficulties were easily preventable had I spent more time thinking instead of doing. If anyone has any advice let me know.

Assuming u are 1 stick climbing?
Yes, I used an old steel climbing stick and cut it down to about 16 inches. Bottom step is a double and the top is a single step. I use a 1/4" AmSteel daisy-chain, and a two step webbing aider.

It takes several runs to get your system figured out. And then a lot more to really get efficient. The old practice makes perfect adage is true true. You are doing well starting early,you will be fine by hunting season.

It takes several runs to get your system figured out. And then a lot more to really get efficient. The old practice makes perfect adage is true true. You are doing well starting early,you will be fine by hunting season.
Thanks for the encouragement, I definitely noticed some little things that I need to change as well as larger issues.

Multiple Sticks or one stick climbing i am still going to rappel.

I learned to climb last year and got stuck up a rope about 4 feet from the ground when my Prusik hitch locked up. While hanging there, I figured out to reach down and tie a figure eight loop to step on to unweight the Prusik so I could get down. I had cross loaded carabiners which were OK but scared me when I saw them. I never had any problems with one sticking or multiple sticks. I only took 3 shots so far from a tree with my crossbow. The first hit the center of a discharge bucket. The second hit a deer in the heart and the third went just over a fox's back. You will get better as you climb more. Forget the bow while practicing climbing. Once you have that down, add the bow.

Rappelling is certainly looking like the way to go. Cost is keeping me from making the switch right now, but I am sure it will be in my future eventually.
Cost is a factor but not too expensive.
Figure 8 belay device
Oplux rope. I use 35 feet.

Cost is a factor but not too expensive.
Figure 8 belay device
Oplux rope. I use 35 feet.
The more I see the frustrations rappelling prevents the more I am tempted... I'll see how the next few weeks go.

I have to say that I wouldn’t even bother with 1 sticking if I couldn’t rappel down. I did it once without rappelling and it went ok but not something I want to do every time for sure. To me rappelling IS a necessary part of the system. I think if you included it in your system you would quickly agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are out of stock, but there are threads on this site on how make a plywood platform. This costs about $10.

09f1f18b0e5f0e6b6dfce3efcfe372e6.jpg
a9b232967a1f484e912651a1bd61f368.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
03c73b5694054a04bd780f8402812f7a.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 35ft of Sterling HTP, 35cm Beal Jammy for an autoblock, and the Grivel figure 8 that @Yazoo Hntr listed a couple weeks ago. It's made getting out of the tree extremely easy when one sticking. I had pretty much decided that one sticking wasn't for me until I tried rappelling. Best $70 I've spent in a while.

Honestly sounds like practice is all you need man. Keep at it you will be fine. I definitely would recommend to not cheap out on anything. I’m all for DIY. I’m not nocking the wood thing but seems sketch to me lol me personally like to buy stuff that has been tested and proven safe. This saddle stuff can be super expensive. But I feel cost is not to be considered when it’s something that could cost you your life. I would definitely recommend repel also like most have said. Rope isn’t too pricey. The repel devices can be. I use the mad rock safeguard it’s legit man. Well worth the 85. Got mine off classifieds here. Think 90 ish new. Like others have said wouldn’t even one stick unless repelling. Just keep practicing climbing it will get easier with time.

It is not expensive to rappel. It only took one time one stiking to know immediately I was not going to decend one stiking.
I am climbing on my rappel rig. No switching over. I am working with a Black Diamond pilot belay. Self braking device. I have an auto block on the slack end. The friction hitch never comes close to binding as the pilot takes the lion share of the friction.
With one hand on aotoblock I can pay out slow inches and with one hand on autoblok and one hand on pilot I can go faster than I need. I don't fly down, I decend in a comfy controlled, effortless fashion.
So far I have to say I like it.
I'm going to try my figure 8 next.
An 8 is half the price..

Back