• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Angled trees. How has this worked for you?

PJC

I’d like to hear from guys who have set up in trees at a rather steep angle. How hard is this to hunt in a saddle? Or should I just throw up a LW?
Pics show the same tree from opposite sides.
fa2c6bc9913b021d519024f3c8ade67b.jpg
ab972add33f243ce23d6f646bcfab35c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaners can be done. It takes experience to learn how you want to sit them and just how much they lean makes a difference on where your shot opportunities will be. Some guys like to sit the high side. Some guys the low side. I sit whichever side the situation dictates. If the expected deer traffic area is in a location that the best shot opportunities are from hanging on the low side then I sit the low side and vice versa. Generally speaking the more the tree leans the harder it is to climb and set up. Also a slight leaner can usually still be “walked” around when at hunting height but it doesn’t take much before your either stuck on the top side or bottom side because of gravity.

All that said, looking at your second picture I see a tree that starts out leaning but then goes almost straight up. Pictures are deceiving but to me it looks like that tree offers better cover and a straight tree at height. If this tree still has access to the expected shot area I would set that one up instead. As a general rule I only set up on leaners when they’re in “the spot” and that’s the only set up I feel confident with.

I’d like to hear from guys who have set up in trees at a rather steep angle. How hard is this to hunt in a saddle? Or should I just throw up a LW?
Pics show the same tree from opposite sides.
fa2c6bc9913b021d519024f3c8ade67b.jpg
ab972add33f243ce23d6f646bcfab35c.jpg

I've hunted leaners never liked it, I usually avoid them or find another option. But I'm picky about trees regardless of stand method.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the learners are the only ones close enough to the edge of the ticket to shoot over the undergrowth.

Was up one on Friday. The fork started four feet above the ground. Had to climb the low side and it had a couple of angle changes on the way up. I stayed low side all the way up. Set up my girth hitch on the high side and hung between high point and side point. No way that would have happened with a climber. No way I would have gotten up without the WE Steps neither. Pete 20181102_145827.jpg

Back