• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Animal nicknames

Bama_Xander

I was talking to my wife the other day and I called a wild Turkey a “thunder chicken”. She thought that was the funniest thing. I then started thinking about all the different nicknames we hunters have for the quarry we chase and we have some pretty funny ones.

So, what are some nicknames you have for the wonderful animals we see in the outdoors?

Here are a few to get started:

-Wild Turkey: Thunder Chicken
-Armadillo: Possum on the half shell
-Raccoon: Trash Panda (also the name of our new minor league baseball team in Huntsville)
-Large Mouth Bass: Ditch pickle
-Squirrel: Fluffy tailed tree rat

Dem creepy a$$ cave cricket spider things
We call em sprickets in my home short for spider cricket

c2d36a36dad948de0d00e81fc434a769.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bad snakes (rattler, moccasin)- no sho. For no shoulders.
Great blue heron- shag poke. Shaggy haircut and poking at fish. (Nebraska)

Blue Marlin= Lady in a Blue Dress
Big Yellowfin Tuna over 100 lbs= Allison
Yellowfin Tuna around 24"= Rats
Blue Sharks= Blue Dogs
Porbeagle Sharks= Fakos
Albacore Tuna= Longfins

Does= Slickheads (heard that in Kentucky)
Elk= Long Necks

Last edited:
Opossum - Poor Joe
Skunk - McGwarthy Cat (named in jest from our neighbors cat that stunk)
Blue Heron - Good god Bird (if they fly by on a foggy morning, close but of site, and call, the only reply is "good god"....)
Smallmouth Bass - Brownies (maybe a stretch everyone knows, but oh well)
Water Chestnut Tree (Cow Oak Acorn)
Does - Nanny goats
Crappie - white gold

Opossum - Poor Joe
Skunk - McGwarthy Cat (named in jest from our neighbors cat that stunk)
Blue Heron - Good god Bird (if they fly by on a foggy morning, close but of site, and call, the only reply is "good god"....)
Smallmouth Bass - Brownies (maybe a stretch everyone knows, but oh well)
Water Chestnut Tree (Cow Oak Acorn)
Does - Nanny goats
Crappie - white gold
Hahahaha, forgot about the Gawd Ahmighty bird... pileated woodpecker.

Squirrels - limb-chickens, squacks, nutters
Armadillo - Diller, tactical assault possum
Bullfrog - mud chicken
Wood duck - stupid friggin bird came outta nowhere how the heck am I supposed to hit that thi..SHOOT there goes another one stupid birds bet I won't see anothe..are you SERIOUS there goes another what the heck am I supposed to do those are high probably can't hit them but what the heck BOOM BOOM for duck's sake yep those were too high I shoulda just stayed at the dang house here comes another BOOM got the rascal!

Wood duck - stupid friggin bird came outta nowhere how the heck am I supposed to hit that thi..SHOOT there goes another one stupid birds bet I won't see anothe..are you SERIOUS there goes another what the heck am I supposed to do those are high probably can't hit them but what the heck BOOM BOOM for duck's sake yep those were too high I shoulda just stayed at the dang house here comes another BOOM got the rascal!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I can't think of a more accurate nickname

Moose = swamp donkey, bullwinkle
Ptarmigan = stupid chicken
Squirrels = false alarm
Polar bear = Nanook
Wolf = Klondike, amaguq

Back