• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another accident

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
If the stick thing wasn't enough the other day… I took a dump in the ice cold river in 5' of water today. I had taken my kayak way and deep to get away from all the other hunters and when you know it the duck hunters were surrounding me. So right after daybreak I decided to jump in the kayak and paddle further up the river when i was sitting and reaching For my paddle that was on shore and lost my balance as kayack rocket and i went in backwards head first . Had to strip down and squeeze as much water as I could out of my clothing (wool) And then paddle out one mile ad then portaged my kayak another 3/4 of a mile. Needless to stay a totally wasted rut day and my bones are still cold. Yes in going back out tomorrow.... This year just seems like the year of accidents for me after 30 something years I haven't had back-to-back accidents like this. Frustrated beyond belief.....

Man. That stinks. I kayaked 2 miles in today to have absolutely ZERO fresh sign after almost another 4 miles of scouting.
Not a single rub, scrape, or pile of scar to be found. Very frustrating.

Dang Dave that's rough! Hoping for some better luck for ya soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the stick thing wasn't enough the other day… I took a dump in the ice cold river in 5' of water today. I had taken my kayak way and deep to get away from all the other hunters and when you know it the duck hunters were surrounding me. So right after daybreak I decided to jump in the kayak and paddle further up the river when i was sitting and reaching For my paddle that was on shore and lost my balance as kayack rocket and i went in backwards head first . Had to strip down and squeeze as much water as I could out of my clothing (wool) And then paddle out one mile ad then portaged my kayak another 3/4 of a mile. Needless to stay a totally wasted rut day and my bones are still cold. Yes in going back out tomorrow.... This year just seems like the year of accidents for me after 30 something years I haven't had back-to-back accidents like this. Frustrated beyond belief.....
water can be a hunters friend, or a bad surprise!

I have always packed waterproof matches or lighter for this very reason. Hypothermia is nothing to play around with, you can be 100' from the truck and when your body shuts down you can't go any further. Best to warm up first. Just my $.02. Stay safe and best of luck the rest of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Falling in is never fun...the old saying goes...you aint duck hunting if you ain't wet...apparently applies to saddle hunting as well. Keep after it, I feel your pain. Going through those periods is never fun!

Yes be careful. If you have the storage one of those duralogs might not be a bad idea to keep in the kayak in a dry sack with a lighter. Throw a survival blanket in and your as prepared as you can get.

That's scary stuff right there, at least there were some duck hunters around if you really got into trouble. I fell into the Truckee river one-time fly fishing and barely made it out once my waders got full. It was summer and I could barely get the wet clothes off and unlock my truck when I finally got back. I like the other suggestions, lighter and maybe even a firestarter, here's one that I'll probably get.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FS37RF...fce-bf4d-c05c7d4232f4&hsa_cr_id=3978584750301

I had fire starter... but with wool I figured paddling would keep me warm and then s walk to truck. I never felt like I was getting real closer to hypothermia .

Back