• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another grasshopper here seeking wisdom

Pastorjim

I'm brand new to this and I need advice in several areas. I already purchased a Cruzr XC for my first saddle and the next thing I will be in the market for is a platform. I thought about a diy project but I don't know. The tethrd xl and the mission currently have my attention right now. My questions pertain to some of the other gear I already have. I have several rope tethers with Prussik knots that I think will work. They are about 6.5 feet in length and I'm sure they are strong enough since they came with my HSS vest or from a treestand purchase. Are those lengths long enough? I also already have a lineman belt that I purchased from HSS several years ago. It attaches with caribbeaners so I'm pretty sure that is useable in this application as well. One thing I really want to change is the way I attach my hawk helium sticks to the tree. I've watched several YouTube videos on this and it seems 8mm static rope is the way to go. Is that correct? Or is a versastrap or daisy chain a better option? Sorry about so many questions but I am a total newb.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome from Michigan.
6.5 can work if your not tied into large Trees. Since your ropes have been around for a while, take caution. Have they been stored well? Dry rotted? Check them if your going to use them. There was some threads in here on pinching your rope and such to check for separations. If you do use them ensure you have a proper stopper knot on the end and length on your tag ends. That's your last line of defense. Make sure you spend plenty of time at ground level with your equipment before you go up to check things out.
As far as attaching your sticks. There no right or easier way. As you will find on here there is several ways to do everything. It's all what works best for you. Watch the classifieds for some used stuff as lots of guys try stuff and sell it. Be safe. Check your gear, check your gear, and don't rush. Have fun and be safe!

Rope should be strong enough and long enough as long as trees aren't too big. If I were you I'd probably just spend the money and get a piece of rope and make a tether or purchase one already made. Might as well get something smack brand new but you know you can trust since you will be hanging from it. As far as Hawk helium attachment to trees I use I amsteel and a versa button. I tried the versa strap but I did not like them because when you try to pull the strap tight you flattening the loops. Just seem like too much of a hassle or maybe it was just me trying to get them to tight but regardless I put my rope back on. And if you have a linemans belt that already works and you like the way that it works from another climbing system I would think it would be more than acceptable.

Rope should be strong enough and long enough as long as trees aren't too big. If I were you I'd probably just spend the money and get a piece of rope and make a tether or purchase one already made. Might as well get something smack brand new but you know you can trust since you will be hanging from it. As far as Hawk helium attachment to trees I use I amsteel and a versa button. I tried the versa strap but I did not like them because when you try to pull the strap tight you flattening the loops. Just seem like too much of a hassle or maybe it was just me trying to get them to tight but regardless I put my rope back on. And if you have a linemans belt that already works and you like the way that it works from another climbing system I would think it would be more than acceptable.
Whàt size amsteel did you use for the climbing stick?

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Back