• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another question about Muddy pro's

Ga_hunter

I've googled and searched here and can't seem to find anything on this. I ordered a new set of sticks from muddy and received them a couple weeks ago. I checked and tightened all the bolts prior to use. While practicing in the yard I noticed that the standoffs have some play in them when weight is applied. There is about an 1/8 gap on either side of the standoff. Is this normal and what can I put in there to fix it. I shouldn't have to buy a better set of standoffs for a nearly $200 set of sticks. Any advice?
Thanks..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190903-230348.png
    Screenshot_20190903-230348.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
I've googled and searched here and can't seem to find anything on this. I ordered a new set of sticks from muddy and received them a couple weeks ago. I checked and tightened all the bolts prior to use. While practicing in the yard I noticed that the standoffs have some play in them when weight is applied. There is about an 1/8 gap on either side of the standoff. Is this normal and what can I put in there to fix it. I shouldn't have to buy a better set of standoffs for a nearly $200 set of sticks. Any advice?
Thanks..
that is normal for the pro's...not sure if they felt that bit of play helped the standoffs adjust to not so straight trees or not. What you are probably feeling is the play in the steps and not the standoff...they all have it even with everything tightened down. They just don't have the best tolerances in their manufacturing imo.

that is normal for the pro's...not sure if they felt that bit of play helped the standoffs adjust to not so straight trees or not. What you are probably feeling is the play in the steps and not the standoff...they all have it even with everything tightened down. They just don't have the best tolerances in their manufacturing imo.

Thanks. I don't think it's going to be a problem, just dont like that squishy feeling in my step. I noticed especially when I climbed a big, thick bark pine and after removing the sticks some of the standoffs were cocked at angles. I figured it was from "finding" it's way into the grooves of the bark. I'd like to find some kind of spacer to put in there that wouldn't fall out.

I think that orange nylon washer needs to go between the stick and the standoff. So stick -> orange washer -> standoff -> washer -> nut. The standoffs are supposed to rotate a bit. This is to make up for trees that are not straight.

I think that orange nylon washer needs to go between the stick and the standoff. So stick -> orange washer -> standoff -> washer -> nut. The standoffs are supposed to rotate a bit. This is to make up for trees that are not straight.

That may be correct, but I'm trying to stop them from moving.

That may be correct, but I'm trying to stop them from moving.
i hear you, but i don't think anyone has found it yet. I'm only 175 and the steps squish back and forth for me...I only feel it when i have both feet on the same level and shift my weight from one foot to the other. It is truly nothing to worry about but it gives you an unnerving feeling like can i trust these?

I think they're meant to swivel slightly like lone wolf sticks so you can climb uneven trees

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Absolutely not a defect. I have a dozen of them and I can tell you first hand the standoffs are supposed to move a bit . I have found over time and repeated use they tend to loosen up a bit . On the tree they conform to the bark pattern and find the most secure angle on their own. Crooked trees no problem. You should be able to turn them with a little effort . Too tight or no movement will likely end up with the stick moving around.Too loose just tighten a quarter turn at a time until they take some effort to move by hand.

FYI
When climbing l always grab the stick above me between the top step and the rope cam when climbing . DO NOT HOLD ONTO THE LOWER PORTION AS IT WILL PULL AWAY FROM THE TREE.

To get the stand off not to rotate it is not necessary to shim the gap. You have a couple of other options.
1. Purchase 3/16 roll pins.. Drill the stand off and the tubing and drive the roll pin through the stand off and the tube. The sheer strength of the roll pin can keep the stand off from rotating.
Or
2. You can drill and tap the stand off and tube. Use a proper size fastener and bolt the stand off in place.

In both cases you leave the center pivot bolt. Drill the dowel hole off center to the pivot bolt.

To get the stand off not to rotate it is not necessary to shim the gap. You have a couple of other options.
1. Purchase 3/16 roll pins.. Drill the stand off and the tubing and drive the roll pin through the stand off and the tube. The sheer strength of the roll pin can keep the stand off from rotating.
Or
2. You can drill and tap the stand off and tube. Use a proper size fastener and bolt the stand off in place.

In both cases you leave the center pivot bolt. Drill the dowel hole off center to the pivot bolt.

I don't want to drill any holes in the standoff. I'd replace them if it came to that. I'm just going to get used to it. Maybe it will change my mind if I find a good crooked tree this year.

Easy way gut some u channel and cut it and bolt it between the standoffs and the stick.
05f7fab24f6dec33bd11efe77aa734fc.jpg

This is what I did for my 3/4 sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are supposed to swivel slightly. As you secure them to the tree, pull down to tighten to the tree, those swivel and find the perfect angle. If you make them stay fixed, I don’t think they will work properly. They arent supposed to work like Dan infants type stick where it’s a bat wing.

I actually thought about cutting off that little 1/8 lip on the standoffs so the profile of the stick would be much less. Sort of similar to the new lone wolf stick. I think the stacking might be changed then. But I’m probably going to be sticking to two sticks and a moveable 5 step aider this year. So I will be putting one stick on either side of my pack.

Easy way gut some u channel and cut it and bolt it between the standoffs and the stick.
05f7fab24f6dec33bd11efe77aa734fc.jpg

This is what I did for my 3/4 sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great idea. It would definitely solve the problem but I would have to get longer bolts.

Those are supposed to swivel slightly. As you secure them to the tree, pull down to tighten to the tree, those swivel and find the perfect angle. If you make them stay fixed, I don’t think they will work properly. They arent supposed to work like Dan infants type stick where it’s a bat wing.
Correct. I think it was a Draves Archery vid where I first heard of the intent. I think it works well, sometimes you can see the stand off “find” nooks and anchor in them

Back