• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another Safety Issue we don’t discuss much

What I want to know is how did that bh get in his arm to begin with? I know he fell but did he not have a quiver with the bh fully contained?

I bet he had an arrow nocked walking in. I don’t do that anymore because I worry about falling on it.
In 43 years of bow hunting I have never nocked an arrow until I was ready to shoot. That is just plain dumb imho. I have seen THP do the exact same thing and it just makes me cringe every time I see it.

What I want to know is how did that bh get in his arm to begin with? I know he fell but did he not have a quiver with the bh fully contained?

I'd also urge people to get a quiver that really grips them. The Kwikee quiver I use has two sets of rubber holders that are tight. The old school quivers with only foam holding the business end and one point of contact aren't as safe. Also not safe are people using micro shafts in a quiver that isn't made for them. It should take considerable force to remove or replace a shaft. Also, I'm trying to train myself to toss my bow if I fall instead of trying to save the bow by holding it out and letting my body take the fall. No bow is worth a serious injury.

In 43 years of bow hunting I have never nocked an arrow until I was ready to shoot. That is just plain dumb imho. I have seen THP do the exact same thing and it just makes me cringe every time I see it.

I do this if stalking or still hunting. It isn't very safe though. But I am moving slow in that case and carefully.

I never nock an arrow while walking to my stand in a purposeful way. He was walking in to hunt when this happened.

Stalking an animal I can see having an arrow nocked of course makes sense but just leave the damn thing in your quiver until your in your stand/blind. It's not rocket science. Besides that,how long does it take to pull an arrow and clip it on your bowstring if you do see a critter on the way in? About 3 seconds.

I bet he had an arrow nocked walking in. I don’t do that anymore because I worry about falling on it.
Also realize that walking with a nocked broadhead destroys a sharp edge. I learned that in my early days as a novice bowhunter. I used to foolishly walk with an arrow on the string. One day I discovered the "leading" edge of my once sharp heads were like a butter knife. I realized that the heads made contact with all sorts of debris while walking with them nocked. IMO, walking with a nocked broadhead should be illegal. Legal or not, its a very bad practice.

Last edited:
I'd also urge people to get a quiver that really grips them. The Kwikee quiver I use has two sets of rubber holders that are tight. The old school quivers with only foam holding the business end and one point of contact aren't as safe. Also not safe are people using micro shafts in a quiver that isn't made for them. It should take considerable force to remove or replace a shaft. Also, I'm trying to train myself to toss my bow if I fall instead of trying to save the bow by holding it out and letting my body take the fall. No bow is worth a serious injury.
This is another reason why its dangerous to climb trees with your bow strapped to you. I know lots of guys on here do it. It might be convenient, but it isn't smart.
Also, if you arent climbing with your bow, it should be placed in such a position on the ground that you could not possibly land on it in the unlikely event of a fall.

I have had an arrow come out of a quiver going thru brush . I now tie a paracord around the arrows. I can see how this happen, and it does make me cringe.

I don't use them on a regular basis anymore, but the NAP spitfires I used to shoot folded closed, and had a slight friction fit to start to open. Even when I switched to fixed heads a few years ago, I keep one spitfire. It is my "stalking" arrow. I average about 2.7 vines catching my foot causing me to stumble per mile walked in the woods. It hasn't happened with an arrow nocked yet, but law of averages will catch up with me.

For all the ripping on mechanicals that occurs around here, it's best to be fair - they reduce a lot of risks associated with a razor sharp blade around skin and life support ropes and bow strings and such. It's not enough to change my whole routine, but it's worth mentioning.

I have had an arrow come out of a quiver going thru brush . I now tie a paracord around the arrows. I can see how this happen, and it does make me cringe.

I'd think about finding a quiver that holds them better. I just hooked a hand scale to an arrow on my Kwikee right below second gripper section and it took 10 lbs to pull it out. I've never had an arrow come loose unless I wanted it to. I always detect that my bow is stuck prior to an arrow coming loose because no way I'd pull my bow that hard through anything (I'd be shredding my string, potentially breaking my rest, etc).

A quiver with thumb snaps to hold arrows in would probably sell (except folks that are worried about quick follow up shots, which I've never been worried about with a bow).

I don't use them on a regular basis anymore, but the NAP spitfires I used to shoot folded closed, and had a slight friction fit to start to open. Even when I switched to fixed heads a few years ago, I keep one spitfire. It is my "stalking" arrow. I average about 2.7 vines catching my foot causing me to stumble per mile walked in the woods. It hasn't happened with an arrow nocked yet, but law of averages will catch up with me.

For all the ripping on mechanicals that occurs around here, it's best to be fair - they reduce a lot of risks associated with a razor sharp blade around skin and life support ropes and bow strings and such. It's not enough to change my whole routine, but it's worth mentioning.

You fall on it and it's gonna open though. Did you see the Tethrd video where they tried to wreck a tether with a fixed blade? It was hard to do and required many direct stabs.

I carry my crossbow like this without an arrow knocked. The Murphy in me has already considered that if the string were to release in this condition and the string caught on my belt, the buttstock would be propelled upwards toward my chin and face probably knocking me out. I have been uncocking it after quitting hunting for the day to eliminate this possibility. I never have an arrow knocked while walking in or out.

the buttstock would be propelled upwards toward my chin and face probably knocking me out.

I read this quick as "the BUTTOCKS would be propelled upwards toward my chin and face....". I was like "man, he really thinks it would rip his butt cheeks off?"

Last edited:
Back