• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another Sitdrag mod idea

Peterk1234

I have not tried it yet but wanted to toss it out there. I will first start by saying that the current sitdrag setup is very comfortable. However, is there a way to make it better? The only issue I see with a sitdrag, and same goes for a saddle, is that the bridge loop(s) concentrates forces. In the case of a sitdrag, it even bunches the ends together a little. So, what if we added battens at each end along the width? Either fiber glass or a small piece of aluminum flat bar would be sewn in. It would function as a spreader bar, not along the sitdrag to scrunch at the ends. Maybe even a piece of half inch pvc between the bridge loops would work as well.

I bet a spreader between the loops would aid in the comfort of a saddle as well.

Thoughts?

Pete

You essentially make it a preacher’s seat, and the pros and cons of that type of sling start to come into play. If you have a waist belt to keep it in place, and a climbing harness to back it up, I don’t see any issues with safety.

It will not be as easy to twist inside the bridge for a shot because the seat won’t be formed to ya as well, and will want to move around/be looser

I don't see this as a problem needing fixing.

Would it make it easier to fall out of a SD? Because of less hugging/wrapping?

Definitely no problem, just the need to tinker. I was thinking of making it a double layer as well and inserting some sleeping pad foam for warmth and maybe a bit of cush for the butt. That is what got me thinking about a way to limit the scrunching when hanging.

I would say most everything we do as diyers on here is tweak stuff that has already been created. So if you like to tinker have at it and if it turns out to be an option to what we already have great.
Most all of the good things produced on here came from tweaking something else.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Test model pic. I decided to put the spreader on the loop instead of the saddle. First, I could just test it that way easily without any mod to the saddle, second it would be away from my body. This way I am not sitting on it, which could create discomfort.

I know people are going to read this and think I'm nuts but it works incredibly well. My sitdrag now does not get scrunched at the ends. It makes just that much more comfortable because my weight is spread over a larger area. It also seems to reduce side pressure along the hips. My body is still very snug in the seat, so turning with the saddle is still a non issue.

I used some Pex I had lying around. The pieces were plenty strong at these short lengths. Now I need to find a way to hold these in place that will be a bit more secure than the gorilla tape. Any ideas?

20190225_144752 (1).jpg

20190225_143837.jpg

Peter,

If you were to make a modified sit drag out of the pack cloth that @Sheldon is selling you could stitch it up with two layers of fabric leaving the center loose so you could add some insulation later as/if needed.

Test model pic. I decided to put the spreader on the loop instead of the saddle. First, I could just test it that way easily without any mod to the saddle, second it would be away from my body. This way I am not sitting on it, which could create discomfort.

I know people are going to read this and think I'm nuts but it works incredibly well. My sitdrag now does not get scrunched at the ends. It makes just that much more comfortable because my weight is spread over a larger area. It also seems to reduce side pressure along the hips. My body is still very snug in the seat, so turning with the saddle is still a non issue.

I used some Pex I had lying around. The pieces were plenty strong at these short lengths. Now I need to find a way to hold these in place that will be a bit more secure than the gorilla tape. Any ideas?

View attachment 10536

View attachment 10537

I would have used camo duct tape

View attachment 10536

View attachment 10537
@Peterk1234 what if you sewed a couple of pieces of webbing in a U as shown with the open ends providing pockets for the spreader.
1551129431738.png

Posted pics in the sewing project section, but figured it would be appropriate here as well. So here it is, DIY Sitdrag #2. I sewed in some aluminum rod into webbing, then sewed that into my two layered sitdrag. This bad boy has sleeping pad foam sewn into it. I have to say, this one is pretty darn comfortable. Pete

20190226_173949.jpg

20190226_174010.jpg

Great idea with the spreader bar. I sewed 1.5 inch foam in mine and put a zipper in so I can remove it for replacement if need be. It is very comfortable even for all day sits. I might try the spreader on my next saddle since I can't seem to stop making them.

I wonder if you could use kydex or instamorph or some other plastic and mold a curved underlay/overlay for each bridge loop that would hold it in both width and curved shape (some pics look like Aerohunter may be doing this on their new saddle) and keep the sitdrag spread out. I intend to test this one after turkey season is over and free time comes around again. I proposed something similar with notches for the girth hitch bridge guys too... http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?posts/163784

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Posted pics in the sewing project section, but figured it would be appropriate here as well. So here it is, DIY Sitdrag #2. I sewed in some aluminum rod into webbing, then sewed that into my two layered sitdrag. This bad boy has sleeping pad foam sewn into it. I have to say, this one is pretty darn comfortable. Pete

View attachment 10567

View attachment 10569

Peter you’re on fire man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When mentioned a while back about adding “stringers” to your sit drag I tried that and liked the results. Then saw a picture of a tree sling for the first time and wondered if you could breed the them. So started throwing some stuff together. At this stage I can safely say it is NOT comfortable, DUH, but thought I would see where we were. However thinking by weaving a couple more straps might not be so bad, will see.
a67b36c45cc1675c9f2b7e6354b5fd5c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got to spend some time in the padded and braced sitdrag at height. Just sat there for an hour in the backyard. By far the most comfortable setup that I have used. I love the cushioning, I really like the bit of cold protection and I believe the little spreader bars really help. It worked equally well leaning and sitting. Given the materials (thanks @Sheldon ), I do not believe it is any heavier than my last sitdrag. Certainly not anything that is noticeable. Next step is to see how it holds up to ongoing use and figure out if my sewing can hold up to the task.

This bad boy will definitely be displayed at the Massachusetts Saddle Get Together and available for others to try :)

Pete

Back