• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ants

Skyhawk

This will be my first year in a saddle. While practicing the other day (Georgia), I noticed most of the trees in my yard have significant lines of ants running up and down them. I've seen this often while hunting with my climber but it never seemed to be a problem. After being hooked in for a while, ants began to work down my tether. Does this cause you veteran SHs any problem in the warm weather? Are there any steps to take to avoid having ants join you for your hunt? Thanks!

Haven’t really thought much of it before. Maybe some kind of repellent around the tether?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hadn't considered that one either....the more i think about it, the more i think i would just change trees. If you got ants on your tether your going to have them on your platform/steps and they will also end up all over your climbing method. I'd bite the bullet and move to an antless tree

I had the same thing happen to me last year. It was awful! But, I'm guessing something on the tether to turn them around

lol I'm in GA as well and I have noticed that there are a whole bunch of ants in the trees. It has not cause me any issues as of yet, but I could see it being pretty damn annoying.

I put ant repellant around the base of my practice tree when I saw ants a few weeks ago and it seemed to do the trick. The granular stuff from Lowe’s - like u put on ur lawn

Ants in your pants making you dance... dawn unscented dish soap, a little baking soda, and water in a dollar tree spray bottle will keep them at bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! Ants in the south can be a pain, especially if they get mad. I sat on a hidden hill early one morning turkey hunting. I do not want to relive that at 20 feet. I didn't think Deet and rope would mix well. Maybe a small spray bottle mix, as mentioned above, will do the trick. Thanks everyone!

I have them in all my trees in my yard.........I have to mix up some pemethrin in a spray bottle and spray my tree. Works well for a while!

Sorry...do not spray your tether with any sort of chemical. DEET for one is known in the climbing world to EAT ropes and chemical exposure is one of the biggest reasons to retire a rope...
Hmmm...

I need to think about that. I wear high-concentration DEET on pretty much every hunt until Thanksgiving. I don't spray it on ropes, but it does make contact since I generally have it on my hands...

I would think the biggest worry is that they likely are carpenter ants - and if so that they are not eating out the entire center of your tree. I took a tree down near my house a couple of years ago that they ate clean through - I could see a grapefruit size hole in the trunk about 15 feet high - when we cut it down - there was maybe an inch left of the exterior wood - that was all that was holding it up - and there was 30 more feet of tree up there

Hmmm...

I need to think about that. I wear high-concentration DEET on pretty much every hunt until Thanksgiving. I don't spray it on ropes, but it does make contact since I generally have it on my hands...
yeah....think hard about that.....you definitely dont want the stuff on your hands or gloves if youre wearing them...

Back